Cistern Coupling Kit Question .

Today I went to B+Q to get bolts to join my toilet cistern to the pan .I dropped one when taking it apart yesterday and it had vanished . They had coupling kits but as I only nedded the bolts I chose what was descibed on the packet as .Cistern Close Coupling Bolts " When I opened it at home it seemed from the instructions ( which seemed to cover push button/hinge and cistern coupling options and are pretty poor ) I saw that the bolts were what looked like M6 bolts with slotted pan-heads ,threaded all the way to the head and did not have the square section below the head as I expected . It might be that they will do but the diagram in the kit shows the way they should be fitted the but the screws in the diagram do have the square section so looks like I'll be going back to B+Q .. Might just root around in their nut and bolt section to get a couple of suitable bolts

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

It's been a while since I last had to mess around with the dunster but I seem to recall that there are two method of close-coupled fixings - one where the bolts go from inside the cistern down through the pan (thus you have access to both ends to tighten) and the other whereby the bolts don't start inside the cistern at all - they merely go through a metal plate underneath the cistern (which is it self clamped to the cistern by the siphon nut) and down through the pan. The latter type obviously means you don't have access to the top of the bolts (as they're sat between the cistern and pan) hence they require a square shaft at the top that is prevents rotation by sitting a similarly shaped hole in the metal plate.

Does that makes sense and/or correlate with what you have or haven't got?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Forgot to mention my conclusion - I think you've bought bolts for the former type whereas you actually require those (square type) for the latter.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thx Mathhew . I wan't aware of the first type you mentioned but having had another look at the diagram in the kit I bought it has a section titled " Instructions for hinges" but the picture shows what you are describing ....bolts going through the bottom of the cistern .I'm only familiar with the type that has the bolts sitting in the wings of the metal plate and that is the type I have .....the diagram in the kit I bought also displays that type and shows bolts with the plain head with the square section below it but the bolts in the kit are just slotted pan head bolts with thread all the way up.....so looks like the manfrs have messed up ... thx again Stuart

Reply to
Stuart