Circular saw problem

I was using the circular saw yesterday when smoke and a burning smell came from the motor, so stopped immediately. Didn't think I was overtaxing it at the time - just cutting some chipboard.

Today, it still runs but the motor sounds raggy and the burning smell is still there.

What's likely happened and is it for the skip? It's a B&D so I guess spares/repair is possible although maybe not economical.

I checked the brushes and they seem to have plenty of length left in them.

Reply to
David

It sounds like shorting turns in the motor and/or commutator. If you've had it for a while then it's probably not worth repairing.

Good choices for a replacement are Skil, if you want something solid but not too expensive. Rather better are Hitachi or Makita.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you do suspect you've overheated a motor and might not have destroyed it yet, don't stop it, but let it run at full speed with no load for a minute. This will give it a full cooling airflow with low power dissipation, allowing it to quickly cool, usually before the heat gets to more susceptable parts and destroys them.

A friend overheated his B&D, and just left it on the floor to cool down. Came back to find the plastic case melted.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I did let it run briefly for that reason but the motor sounded so noisy I stopped. I think I have to face the fact it's gone to that great scrapyard in the sky.

Reply to
David

So is the most likely cause of that just wear and tear?

I was looking at circs a while ago as the B&D has never been more than adequate. I liked the look of Skil (and I have a small Skil mains saw which is very good).

The Hitachi looks nice too although I think it's at the top end of what I'd be prepared to pay considering it wouldn't be used that often.

Not struck by Makita. My uncle had one several years ago and although it seemed tough, it didn't seem particularly refined. Maybe things have changed.

The other two I was looking at were the Kress one from Wickes which seemed decent and solid and the new Rage model at B&Q which also seemed solid, although perhaps a risk given that it's a relatively new brand.

If price is anything to go by, the Worx range from Screwfix ought to be good. Anyone know anything about them?

Reply to
David

It could be. I had one B&D product that had an early life motor failure. However, I wouldn't say that this implies that they all do.

You would notice quite a step up.

That would be a further step up, but I'd say that Skil would represent good value for money and durability.

Kress does at least have spares availability.

I think you would find the Skil quite a bit better, spares available and owned by Bosch.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sounds like you have lost a winding...

Replacement armatures can sometimes be not too expensive - you might find it costs something like £25 - £30 if you can get one.

Have a look and see if yours is in this list:

John Rumm

Bosch bought Skil some years back in order to have a market offering on a par with B&D toys instead of down grading their own green range. Spares support is good on all Bosch owner power tools. I'd go for a blue Bosch for choice. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

From the day it was made.

Makita or Hitachi are the local favourites.

Skil used to be good, but no longer - they've gone so far downmarket they're now pitching at B&D. Old stock "Classic" or "Legend" is still nice, if you can find it.

Then make sure you buy some varying blades! No such thing as a "one size fits all" here - ripping softwood is a long way from trying to get a neat edge on ply.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, insulation failure. Theres a horrible bodge that will enable motors in that state to run indefinitely, so if you know someone penniless that wants a circ saw... run it in series with a 3kW heater, and it'll run, albeit at reduced power.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A good way to check for a shorted/missing turn on the motor is to connect it up to say a 6V PSU (preferably with over load protectio), via current meter and turn the motor by hand. My Flymo strimmer started smoking when on mains and when connected to a 6V lab PSU and turned by hand consumed a couple of mA until a certain position in which it overloaded the PSU. Also had a mover in which had an open turn which reads 0mA in a certain position.

Reply to
Ian_m

The current models are called "Classic". Are these not as good as the older ones? How do you tell the difference?

Reply to
David

link though.

Reply to
David

Just been having a look around again to see what the prices are like and the one thing I discovered is that every model mentioned is more expensive at Screwfix than anywhere else.

What happened to them? Kingfisher, maybe?

Reply to
David