Circular saw on hardwood doors

I need to cut off an inch from several hardwood doors. I intend to get a brand new quality circular saw blade but should I choose one with lots of teeth or few.

Thanks again

Reply to
G&M

Few for cutting along the grain but it will not make that much difference on most doors. Those * rubberwood things B&Q were selling some years back were a PITA.

Most of the cheap ones will be fine. You just get the one blade with them. So thee is no choice. As they will likely all be the multi use variety there will be not much difference among them.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

The general rule is

A tidy slow cut = many small teath. A fast rought cut = few big teath

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Trimming doors involves some crosscutting and some ripping so a combination blade is the best to go for. The more teeth the smoother the cut but the speed of cut will be slower. Decide from which face you will cut as there is a difference in the final surface finish between top and bottom.

If you are doing several doors make up a saw jig. I will try to describe one for you. Piece of sheet material about 8" wide and a bit longer than your intended cuts. Hard board, chipboard etc. thickness not very important. Fix onto this sheet another piece about 2" wide. Screw, glue or whatever. Run your saw along this assembly so the wider part is trimmed to the actual saw cut with the sole plate running against the attached strip. Now align the cut edge of jig with your measurement marks on the door, clamp it in place, making sure the clamps will not impede the saw and away you go.

The advantages of using such a jig are that the final cut does not have to be parallel with the original edge and wherever the edge of the jig is placed that is where the cut will be with no guesswork.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Also suggest putting a piece of hardboard on top of the door when you saw, and cut through the both together. And make sure your guide wood strip is clamped securely :) Since we're talking hardwood doors that would seem wise.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

This is similar to what Richard is describing,

John

Thanks John for the Sawboard link . That is exactly what I was attempting to describe.

I should have pointed out a couple of further advantages. The base of the Sawboard protects the face of the workpiece from being marked by the sole plate and it enables smooth passage across any decorative panelling.

I made one 4ft and one 8ft guide when I first bought a circular saw. IMHO all circular saw owners should do the same :-))

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Excellent! I never heard or thought of this before, thanks very much. As always, the best ideas are the simplest!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Well Peter, when you have made up your two Sawboards you might consider a third one trimmed with the circular saw set at 45 degrees. Use this to cut Loooong mitres on such things as bath panels, cupboards, boxes etc. When you complete the joints a light sand of the final corner edge is called for or you may cut yourself on it !!

Next project, make a pair of bench hooks :-))

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Many thanks to all who replied. I'll be making the jog tomorrow.

That's what I really really like about this group - people who obviously know how to do the job and are prepared to tell other. Thanks again.

Reply to
G&M