Circ Saw & workbench

I have an and old B&D work bench of basic design but still in good condition. Also have a B&D circular saw hardly used.

If I grip the foot plate of the saw in the jaws of the bench to create a table saw, am I taking a big risk? Dangerous?

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

My first attempt at a bench mounted saw was a B&D saw attachment fitted to a B&D drill, the lot mounted, held by gravity, in a small piece of chipboard and all held by small g cramps to a home made bench.

It always frightened the bejasus out of me.

To answer your question (troll?). How lucky do you feel ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Yes, and yes IMHO.

However, perhaps if you were to screw/bolt the baseplate securely to a piece of, say, 1/8" thick steel sheet about 9" square, which in turn you bolted/screwed securely into a shallow (1/8"!) recess routered in a sheet of thick MDF/laminate screwed/bolted securely to the top of your workbench you might have the makings of a table saw. OTOH, you then have to make up a guide fence, and find an easy way to raise/lower the blade, so with the cost of the materials and time and trouble involved, you might as well buy a cheap saw to do the job. All but the very cheapest and nastiest of saws you might buy new will likely be more powerful and accurate than a home-brew like that.

(And why do you think I can reply so confidently on this topic .....? )

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

In message , Arthur writes

Do enjoy having a full compliment of limbs and associated digits?

Even the cheapest saw bench will be a lot safer and more accurate.

I got one from B&Q for £60 a few months back, with a bit (OK a lot) of fettling to line the blade up, its not a bad piece of kit (for the money etc.)

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Been there and done it.

Used to spend ages faffing about with Workmate, Skilsaw with cable-tie round on switch, G-cramps on bits of timber to approximate a guide, wife looking distinctly unhappy as she caught the cut ends. I managed to produce some very 'rustic' skirting boards out of that double edged stuff with it..

Bought a cheap, and probably nasty, table saw from B+Q in their recent

20% off sale. At £47 I reckon that it can't be any less accurate than my horrible contrivance and, because I won't have to source the components from wherever I abandoned them last time, it'll be used more often.

HTH Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

=============== If you're desperate for a saw bench both B&Q and Machine Mart sell an 8" saw table for about £30-00. They're not brilliant and they have no rise / fall but they will be better and safer than your proposed concoction.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero