Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Or maybe he was on the grassy knoll too.

Reply to
IMM

Or maybe the driver/owner had killed a couple of kids while driving when under the influence of alcohol ;-(

Reply to
zulu740

No I don't. You do, so you can feel resentful about it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...our resident snotty uni clown goes on....

You want a system clearly favouring, and giving privilidge to, a select strata of society. That is clear, you always defend it.

Reply to
IMM

Marlboro always had large ads on TV and boards and in mags, etc, showing a cowboy smoking on a horse in open prairie, giving the message of health and fresh air. Smoke these and you will be healthy was the message.

The actor who mostly played the cowboy was dying of lung cancer caused by cigarettes. He was being interviewed on TV recalling an add shoot. He noticed all the top Marlboro managers and executives never smoked. He was curious and asked them why none of them smoked, being very strange he thought for a tobacco company telling everyone else to smoke. They responded by saying "we know what this shit does to you, but we reserve the right for the stupid, the poor and blacks to smoke".

Reply to
IMM

Like by withholding immunisation?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I happen to work with Mr Aspel frequently, and you're as accurate about him as about everything else.

The ability to learn lines often in a short time is a skill most can only wonder at - or even to read it convincingly off a prompter.

Quoting 'facts' from a maker's website or catalogue is something a near imbecile can do easily. And some do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd agree with that. I'd rather remove parent's "rights" to withhold medical treatment from their children, unless there is some degree of uncertainty or genuine moral choice, such as whether to attempt proceed with invasive curative treatment or just paliative care in the event of terminal illness.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Of course, the next stage will be to ban aromatherapy and scented candles in the home as well. FAR worse. And definitely band teh buring of incense in 'public places' like churches and mosques and ashrams..

Oh, and while we are at it, peanut butter. Nasty stuff, peanut biutter, if you are allergic to it.

And household pets. They cause allergic reactions and carry toxic parasites...

You know, the only thig left to do with our kids is seal them in white plastic bags and give them to Michael Jackson.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep.

And sending them to state schools.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...our resident clown shows his class riden snotty uniness ...

Reply to
IMM

If they make people ill then ban them.

...our resident clown imparts some wisdom to us all....

Reply to
IMM

Point out to me where I proposed a ban on anything.

Reply to
John Laird

This 'our resident clown' business that you insist on adopting in your quoting.....it has to be the most patronising, arrogant approach I've seen on usenet. So well done, I can't even remember what you're arguing about anymore, but I disagree with you on principle ..

Ferger

Channel 4:

So far, we've had a total of 11,496 calls and interactive votes. Of these, 75 % were in favour of a ban and 25 % were against.

Sounds overwhelming to me.

Reply to
IMM

Notably in the article it mentions that

"The Irish Republic will introduce a ban in all public places early in the next year - and that includes the unthinkable - smoking bans in Dublin pubs. "

I must remember to put a trip on my travel agenda. The thought of enjoying a pint of "proper" Guiness without the fug certainly appeals......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

So Ch4 viewers are representative of the population, and those viewers who *choose* to take part representative of that audience?

Stick with heating. You talk enough crap there without expanding into other areas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thank you.

So you disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Now that is bright!

Reply to
IMM

All pubs throughout the country, I think. Mind you, if the incidence of lawful obedience is anything like their attitudes to licensing hours (I got locked in 4 nights out of 4), there may be no actual change in many areas.

Reply to
John Laird

What planet are you one, it isn't Earth, that's for sure !

And what is the adult population of the UK, 75% of / 11,496 / people who voted were in favour of a ban, only 25% of the / 11,496 / were against - what about the other 40m plus adults who didn't vote ?...

Reply to
Jerry.