Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Page 3 of 13
On 23 Nov 2003 17:47:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

I like your style ;)
PoP
Huge wrote:

Ah...I remember it well. The girl on acid who slipped and fell over in a pile of vomit at the gig, and got up and said' It's allright. I'm just having a bad trip'
:-)

..he does write the scripts for last of the summers wine.

This demonstrates and misses the point exactly.
Apart from the increased health risks to all concerned why should the unpleasant smell and worsened air quality be inflicted on others in public places such as bars and restaurants, or worse yet in their homes?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I'm not a habitual smoker, but on this point I can only quote one of the characters in Southpark (was an episode from one of the first series): "Having never taken drugs myself, I can honestly say they have nothing to offer me".
Don't see the point of corporal punishment myself, but hey, some people pay good money for it....
<snip> >

But the point is why isn't the free market sorting these things out? Nobody is forced to eat in a particular restaurant or drink in a particular bar (whereas people are forced to use particular buildings when accessing public services such as social security offices, etc).
Market forces should surely rule this, perhaps backed up by a requirement to state a smoking policy on the door or something like that? With the majority of the country not smoking I am at a loss to understand why there are not more restaurants and bars with a no-smoking policy (at least in eating areas).
<snip>

Which begs the question: where are they?
<snip>

-- Richard Sampson

I have the right to go into any public place and not have my lungs burnt out. That is, any place that has its doors open to the public for any reason. It is very simple.
If people want to smoke together then they can form a private members only smokers place, and kill themselves that way. Simple as that.

You don't actually have the right to walk into any bar or restaruant of your choice - the proprietor can choose not to admit you if they so wish.
-- Richard Sampson

I have the right to walk in as the door is open. Him not serving me is another matter entirely, which none has done as yet.
That sidelet is off mark to the main point.

IMM wrote:

No, you don't. That is your funadmental mistkae. You have absolutely no right to anything at all.

If peple want to have a smoke free world,. they can club toher and buy air filtration and live in each others farts. Simple as that.
God you are thick.

Our resident ng fool interjects...

..well he is right to an extent. I certainly don't have the freedom to breath non-toxic air in public places.

..and he says.....

...such humour and wit. What would we do without him? ...and he goes on..

...he is a self confessed nicotine addict. Well nice people this is what nicotine does to people. read it all yourself.

I'd be interested to know where you'd find a public building that *isn't* non smoking. Or, indeed, just about every private one where the public have access, like shops, theatres, cinemas, etc.
The exception is of course most pubs and some restaurants. So I'd suggest you patronize the ones who have a smoking ban like McDonalds, etc. You'll live far longer - or it will certainly seem longer...
My local has a non smoking bar - and arguably the nicest bar out of the three. But it's also the least used - so much so that it shares a barperson with one of the others.
If non smokers actively want non smoking bars then they should patronise those that are *regularly* to make them viable. But, of course, the vocal minority just want to have something to complain about.
--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

So far, all of your responses to this person have been personal attacks. Not once in any post can I see you counter any of his points in an adult and inteligent manner.
To someone who is not a regular to the group (like myself), it is you who appears to be the resident ng fool.

Oh god. I bet you believe that pot enourages white women to seek relationships with black men, and causes males to go on murderous rampages! You really are soaking up the propaganda fed to you by anyone. Think for yourself for once!
F.

As with you, he hasn't presented intelligent points.

writes

... ...

(Deity of choice) you are thick
--
geoff

Maxie, have you been at the tipple today?

You are so clearly addicted to nicotine it affects your reasoning. Smoking gives nobody NOTHING. It gives them a perceived pleasure, which is just the relief of the nicotine withdrawal symptoms.

But a bar isn't a public place. It's owned by the landlord or the brewery. How they do things within their doors is their choice. Don't like it, don't go there.
Smoking in genuine public places, such as council buildings is already banned (in fact most commercial buildings are the same).
F.

It is a public. Its doors are freely open to the public. It is a privately own premises open to the public.

IMM wrote:

Public is an adjective, not a noun. One of the things they teach you at snotty unis. Or suaully one of the things you have to know before they let you in.

(a) They are not. Any more than any other commerciasl institution's doors are freely open to the public. My garden, by the same token is freely open to the publoic, but you had better not look too much like a rabbit if you wander in, or there will be an understandable mistake...
(b) Even if they are that doesn't make it a public place. See legal definitions.

I think a little grammatical study will show that what one assumes you meant is not a 'public place'
Your knowledge of Law is as slender as your grasp of grammar, and is only exceeded by your lack of knowledge of anything but glossy brochures on Combi boilers.
Why don't you stick to them instead?

...our resident clown still procrastinates....saying....

<sigh> Tonight, on the news 17 heads of medical colleges are lobbying thegovernment to put a full ban on smoking in pubic places, and that includes bars and restaurants. Yes.
They emphasised the danger of passive smoking and gave astounding figures of death and disease. Appalling. Truly appalling.