Cigarette smoke

Did any of them compare the concentrations of carcinogens in the cigarette smoke a smoker inhales via the cig in his mouth, and the concentration at a pub or restaurant table 3 metres away, with good normal pub ventilation, (if it's not good it could be made to be good and that could be enforced) ? If it wasn't good, if it was smoky / smelly I wouldn't go there.

I don't smoke BTW, and one good aspect of the ban when it came in in Scotland (where I frequently work) was that if the place was half decent the landlord usually had it redecorated / cleaned up.

But by and large the only think that got up my trumpet about smoking in pubs/restaurants was the common practise of females at the next table to hold the lighted cig with their arm outstretched at an angle of 150 degrees from straight ahead, IE behind them, without looking what was there, because they didn't want the smoke in their own face, or contaminating their own food and their own clothing. Somehow this behaviour was regarded as acceptable, "Chic" even, sort of "Hollywood

- Esque". Thinking about it a small aerosol sized fire extinguisher (I now have one redundant from an earlier car) could easily have been used to discourage that practise.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

On one occasion I used a glass of water for just that purpose. Offending object was held behind and downwards. Lifting the glass up under same cured the problem.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Very good. Argumentum ad verecundiam and Argumentum ad hominem in one paragraph.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just as we have evidence of the harm caused by passive smoking. There's a good selection of references on the Wikipedia article with that name, for a start. Not that this helps with the OP's query ;-)

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

In this respect the "know it all" is you, who apparently knows better than I do what triggers my asthma and who also knows better than any epidemiologist.

Or rather, since you're addicted you'd rather cling to your beliefs than face facts.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No.

I smoke a LOT.

I gave up for 9 years.

I am an asthmatic.

The merest whiff of smoke would actually cause a bronchial constriction.

It's something I control now I am back smoking again. but I would never claim that its a fallacy. It isn't.

The same as the merest whiff of mould in a house would/will put me in a very bad situation indeed.

And some perfumes are the same, there are women who to clasp in my arms would send me coughing and wheezing for an inhaler. And just to be around is acutely uncomfortable

(apart from the ones who will do that to anyone anyway)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No its not. Its the smell of bacteria feeding on excreted bodily products.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is, but in far lower concentrations.

It is highly irritating, but then so are many things. I remember we all had to ecvacuate a restaurant once..thought we had been tear gassed. Turns out they had a small fat fire and it got into the aircon.

I wouldn't mind such vehement andti-smoke ourgae, if people ALSO accepted that the aftershaves and perfumes they use, and the soap powders they use, can ALSO cause severe asthmatic attacks.

Ive had people come up to me when smoking outside and be blatantly rude: Imagine if I did the same to someone wearing woolworths number 0 for the same reasons 'its making my child wheeze'

AND driving ropund the M25 with all the diesel fumes is FAR FAR more carcinogenic, and ALWAYS gives me a sore throat and asthma for a day.

Indeed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should be. That is the cure, that is what the building regulations say you should do.

Yes, and thanks for a sane attitude, BUT the problem is one that you must solved by caulking and sealing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same here.

Strangely the fresh smoke from my own DIY cigarettes is not as bad as the stale smoke from other peoples. It induces coughing which clears out the crud. I suppose.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If contributors to the group are frequenting pubs where people are spewing up all the time and cannot be bothered to wash, or use a deodorant, then they really should considering moving their custom to a venue where civilised people drink.

Reply to
Alan

Think what you like. It's the truth nonetheless. Cigarette smoke *is* full of carcinogens, I *do* have a biochemistry degree and you *are* a handyman.

Reply to
Huge

Yep. I can't go down the washiong powder aisle in the supermarket.

... useful. What use is your addiction?

Reply to
Huge

Well it makes me nearly as stupid as the people I have to deal with on a daily basis. This helps a lot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Serves you right for associating with junkies.

Reply to
Huge

Lemsip and Doritos.

uk]- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
whitely525

But then there wouldn't be any good fights :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Driving round the M25 useful? How much polution is that causing? Enough CO2 emmissions to destroy the planet.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Then I'm surprised that someone thus qualified is unable to realise that passive smoke cannot possibly contain the same level of carcinogens as active smoke. I am further surprised that you don't know that smokers and non smokers who develop lung cancer develop different types of cancer in different parts of the lung.

The fact that you were once a biochemist and I currently choose to earn my living as a handyman is irrelevant to the argument.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Indeed, depending on many factors, it could contain more, but of course its far more dilute by the time it gets to you.

ALWAYS? You DO surprise me..

Possibly, but it pays to be as careful preparing your arguments as sharpening your tools.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher