Cig smoke smell, which paint

Hi folks

What paint would be best to stop walls ponging of cigs? I've been offered Z innzer coverstain, a 30min drying oil based paint, but no experience with i t. Other perhapses include shellac and ali flake wood primer. I'd have got the ali flake stuff but what I'm being offered is solvent based, which woul d create problems. Any suggestions?

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and well rinsed down? And repeat as necessary?

Snag with the smell is it may be hiding in other places more difficult to get at.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect it to need more.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is the alu primer for wood easier to over-coat than the alu finish for metal? I had a garage door that was a real bugger to gloss for years, every time it dulled within a few months, eventually solved by replacing the door.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Pretty well all everything in tobacco smoke is water soluble, so a good wash should get rid of most of it from hard surfaces.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then when you think it's all gone, you need to get something out of the loft . . .

John

Reply to
JTM

Can't wash it off your fingers. ISTR that was the punchline for a government anti-smoking advert

Reply to
stuart noble

thats good news, the carpet's been thorough;y cleaned.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I recently painted a room, which literally stank of nicotine, with Wickes white exterior, oil based undercoat. This included four walls and the ceiling and all were a light to medium brown colour from the smoke. One liberal coat, applied with a four inch roller was enough to seal all surfaces. I didn't bother with sugar soap. I then painted with emulsions of my choice with no problem. I was concerned that the nicotine would bleed through the undercoat but it worked a treat! The floor was laminate so I ran a steam mop over it a couple of times to remove any tobacco smells.

Reply to
Wesley

True - but skin isn't a hard surface. Pretty absorbent for some things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of the many banned by the ASA?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've used cheap bio clothes liquid [or powder] solution, and wash walls using a soft bristle car brush. Brown rivers of tar running down the wall... yuck, but strangely satisfying. Normal emulsion went on fine afterwards.

Reply to
Simon Cee

Interesting. So Dave is wrong about the tar being water soluble then?

Reply to
stuart noble

Sugar soap is for washing down painted surfaces. You dissolve it in warm water. Doesn't much matter what is beneath the paint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err no. Sugar soap is sodium phosphate or should be but there's been much mucking about with it over the years. That's why it feels gritty but you're supposed to dissolve it in warm water.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't know. I'm not going to contradict him - I'm no expert by any means. Bio solution works v well tho, and with v little effort.

Whichever method... far better to wash the tar/smell off IMO, rather than covering or sealing it in.

Reply to
Simon Cee

The original tub I had contained TSP and a silicate abrasive, but that was many moons ago. The current Mangers brand contains mainly bath salts

Reply to
stuart noble

Elfin Safety or the EU? Both of them seem determined to ban anything That Just Works.

Reply to
Huge

I've just been using some of Wicks own brand stuff and it works as well as ever. I can't see why you'd use anything else for cleaning paint prior to painting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)