Cif makes yer eye sting?

Hi All,

There I was happily cleaning a fridge that was given to me (we never used) and was giving to someone else (setting up home for the first time) and as I put the bottle of Cif (formally Jif) down a bit spurted out of the bottle and into my eye ;-(

I bought some Optrex eye wash and gave my eye a couple of washes but it continued hurting (well more like 'very uncomfortable' than hurt) all day and has only gone back to normal from when I woke up this morning?

So, what is it in Cif cream cleaner that would hurt an eye so much please?

Also has anyone else had that happen, when you put one of these flip cap 'easy squeeze' style bottles down a bit firmly and it spits back out? (It could equally been car polish etc) I wonder if there is need for a baffle just inside the spout?

I also notice that the latest squeezy tomato sauce type bottles have a rubber diaphragm in the top that you have to squeeze the stuff past .. maybe that would do it ( also stop some coming out if the bottle gets knocked over)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I am not certain, but I believe there have been reports of Flash cleaner in the past causing eye damage, so there is nasty stuff around.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Horrendous thing, great for keeping the top of the bottle clean, but you have to apply so much pressure to the bottle to force it out that if you arent quite aimed right, you get projectile tomato sauce shooting across the table.

Reply to
Mark Trueman

Is Cif abrasive ? That could scratch the eye and create day-long symptoms. Be glad you don't wear contact lenses. It hurts even more then. You have to try and get the lens out whilst eyes are watering etc, and the stuff gets trapped beneath the lens ! Also, don't confuse lens cleaner and lens wetting solution.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I had thought in these days of super precaution / liability that most chemicals are safe enough to drink (compared with yesteryear I mean) .. like Creosote etc?

Reply to
T i m

LOL .. been there done that (the first time I used it).

I asked my 15 yr old daughter where she wanted some sauce and she said 'everywhere'. I squeezed, and squeezed harder then woosh .. all over the tray, worktop , my leg .. ;-(

She just looked at me and said "I meant everywhere on my dinner .." ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It is ..

That could scratch the eye and create day-long

I think that must have been part of it ..

I understand how that must feel via my lens wearing missus .. "an eyelash feels like a knife' she says ..

Ok . (I'll stick with glasses for the moment then ) ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought all household stuff said that if it was accidentally splashed in the eye it shold be rinsed with plenty of water. Just now I've been cleaning and found a bottle of Cif - yes, it said that.

I wouldn't use Optrex for anything, what's the point? Instant dilution is far more effective.

I hope there's no permanent damage - I don'tsuppose there is.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Isn't she allowed to squirt her own condiment?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you had your glasses on how did you get it in your eye?

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I don't know. It seems to me that household cleaners and disinfectants have become more 'industrial strength' in recent years.

What about the stupidity of a spray caustic oven cleaner? Spray it into that enclosed space and it comes back into your face... Caustic, in your eyes and down your lungs.

Reply to
Tony Williams

That made my eyes water just thinking about it!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

You are probably right Mary.

Erm, to bathe and soothe?

Instant dilution is

I'm sure it would have been.

Thanks for the thought .. no, I think things are back to normal (minor macular distortion (wet type) in my left eye and ever shortening arms) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some maybe ..

Oven . . oven .. ah, the thing I use for heating crankcases ;-)

Like when you blow brick dust out of a hole you have just drilled and you end up with it all back in yer face .. even though you have made the same mistake several times before .. no .. ah, just me then ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Good gracious no! Mary Fisher, I would have expected better of you! ;-)

Yes of course she is ... just I had just done mine and I got the 15 yr style grunt and nod towards her plate so read that as "Excuse me Daddy darling, would you be so kind and apply some of that to my meal" .. ?

Thinking back, it could well have just been a trap and she knew I'd end up wearing the stuff! ...

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I reckon you were just using the male strategic incompetence technique.

The one that leaves us not being asked to do something next time ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Good question Peter.

We were cleaning this tall fridge freezer outside my (remote) lockup. We had taken a bucket, sponge, a couple of containers of hot water, Cif, Fairy etc. We had used all the hot water and pretty well finished the thing when I spotted the mains cable could do with a wipe over. I apllied some Cif to the still damp sponge and bent over slightly to put the Cif on the groud when it fell out of my hand for maybe the last couple of inches. I was looking down at about 45 deg and only wear cheap 'general purpose' reading glasses that are sorta rectangular and are perched near the end of my nose (leaving a big gap betwen the glasses and my eyes) or more often up on my head (so I don't leave them behind / sit - tread on them).

At the time I just wiped my around my eye a bit with a tissue (as I didn't fancy the look of the green water in the water butt) but the discomfort slowly got worse. We finished what we were doing, cleared up and the nearest solution (excuse the pun) on our way home was the Chemist and the Optrex.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

"I've done the washing up darling but you know your favourite plate ... " ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In my experience it's no better than plain water - but that's just my experience. The opticians I know (all four of them!) say the same.

I do have some 'artificial tears' which do soothe - but I wouldn't know where to find them in an emergency.

The latter comes with wisdom.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not just you, I've seen loads of blokes do it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher