Ciao bella. Back home to water tank problem.

They have condensing forced air units. J&S do not, only an after market conversion unit for a conventional flue.

Reply to
IMM

Gas is freely available in the USA

Reply to
IMM

Which is more economical at times as if heater by cheap gas you save. Here we have some appliances that only accept cold water, ten heat it by expensive electricity.

Reply to
IMM

So Canadians use kettles like us, and the Yanks do not and boil water on the hob? Well as their hot water is from the mains they can use that and the heating time in a small pan would,be quite fast to boiling. Most Americans use coffeepots anyhow.

Reply to
IMM

If you mean modern washing machines, by the time your favourite combis were producing hot enough water, they'd be full.

Of course, with a decent storage system, you have to option to circulate the hot water therefore minimizing the waiting time...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Water tank

no just .. well... yuk. Hard to describe.

Thanks for that Dave

Reply to
Suz

Are you related to Stanley Unwin at all, or Yoda perhaps?

What you neglect to mention is that European style washing machines use a great deal less water than the large American top loaders and detergents which for most fabrics only require a temperature in the wash part of the program of 40-50 degrees.

Dishwashers also use a fraction of the water and detergents which operate on a completely different principle.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is the tank covered properly? Modern types come with a lid.

However, as in the kitchen, drinking water should be off the mains direct, and teeth cleaning water comes into this category.

It might be pretty easy to swap the basin cold feed from the tank to a fresh one in a bathroom, since the cold feed to the tank is often routed through there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Andy Hall writes

I have. My parent's bungalow in Florida has hot water supplied by a massive cylinder in the garage. At a guess, it's ~6ft tall and ~3ft dia, powered by a single 220v immersion element; not sure of the wattage. Needless to say, the cylinder is unlagged and when starting from cold, takes hours to produce any hot water. They now leave it switched on all the time. The wiring to the element was also, um, "interesting".

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Mum and dad have one; it has a very small water capacity compared to UK kettles, so does manage to boil in a reasonable time. Rather scary thing though - no earth conection, single-insulated cable, no auto- cutoff, very cheap and plasticky, etc.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

Unlagged..no wonder global warming is becoming a problem....

Reply to
tony sayer

Doesn't really make sense, since electricity isn't particularly cheap in the US. Lagging the tank would pay back the cost very quickly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

You're welcome to try and convince my parents :) Don't forget it's hot and humid in Florida, and the garage where the cylinder is doesn't have air-con.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

;-)

in which case "These are not the newsgroups you are looking for..." Wave hand to accompany jedi mind trick

Reply to
John Rumm

But they wear energy wastage with a badge of pride. If you attempt to save energy, you're a pinko commie liberal (and probably Muslim, too, nowadays). All of which should result in you being tortured and detained without trial.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Christian McArdle writes

And, of course, its not just them having just returned from a mini trip around the world its amazing to see the lack of worry about energy consumption including still running around in gas guzzling giants, whilst we're caning ourselves about saving energy nobody else in the world gives a toss

Reply to
David

True, but much of the time it's just money down the drain. I'd rather drive a smaller car and have access to a better health service overall.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C