Chubb lock lubrication

I have a four lever Chubb lock which sometimes sticks when it is turned towards the LOCK position. I looked at the mechanism and it appears that it is either the lever(s) not moving properly, or the adjacent locking bar that fits in the levers. I would like to clean the area (I suspect there#s some dirt there) and re lubricate it, but I'm not sure what lubrication to use. It looks as if there's some light grease that has been used, rather than oil (I may be wrong).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
romic

The key or mechanism isn't well worn is it? or the keys poor copies ?

They assemble them with normal grease. However, if poss try to avoid the places where the key will touch or users may object. I normally just spray wd40 in situ though :-)

Reply to
BillR

I usually use powdered graphite.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lever locks (lever padlocks too) can use almost anything as a lubricant, so long as it doesn't go soapy or waxy with age. Yery little, of a very light grease is OK, or even vaseline. I use a PTFE-loaded white grease, sold for bicycle wheels, because it has good rain resistance. Powdered graphite is OK too, but you'll probably need to clean old grease from out of the case first - it's not a good mixture.

Cylinder locks should only be lubricated with powdered graphite.

WD40 is a bad idea on either.

-- Inbreeding - nature's way to ensure you always have enough fingers to count all your cousins.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I use lithium grease for locks. It lasts way longer than normal grease and is more water resistant.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'd give it a damned good clean and then puff in some powdered graphite. At a guess you should be able to get it from any decent locksmith shop.

Reply to
Wanderer

Got mine from CPC...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for all the replies. When it happens, it is with all keys, from both sides of the lock. The levers/mechanism looks OK. I'll clean and lubricate it and see if that helps.

Roger

Reply to
romic