snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

The key or mechanism isn't well worn is it? or the keys poor copies ?
They assemble them with normal grease. However, if poss try to avoid the places where the key will touch or users may object. I normally just spray wd40 in situ though :-)
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:13:42 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

I usually use powdered graphite.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:13:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

Lever locks (lever padlocks too) can use almost anything as a lubricant, so long as it doesn't go soapy or waxy with age. Yery little, of a very light grease is OK, or even vaseline. I use a PTFE-loaded white grease, sold for bicycle wheels, because it has good rain resistance. Powdered graphite is OK too, but you'll probably need to clean old grease from out of the case first - it's not a good mixture.
Cylinder locks should only be lubricated with powdered graphite.
WD40 is a bad idea on either. -- Inbreeding - nature's way to ensure you always have enough fingers to count all your cousins.

I use lithium grease for locks. It lasts way longer than normal grease and is more water resistant.
Christian.
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:13:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

I'd give it a damned good clean and then puff in some powdered graphite. At a guess you should be able to get it from any decent locksmith shop.

Got mine from CPC...!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Thanks for all the replies. When it happens, it is with all keys, from both sides of the lock. The levers/mechanism looks OK. I'll clean and lubricate it and see if that helps.
Roger