Chromeed Pipework

I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom. The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Just remove the chrome where you solder or a compression olive goes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, I never managed to join it. I think you need special fittings, or at least special olives, which I didn't have. I gave up and used grey plastic, which looked okay.

I wish I'd asked on UK.d-i-y first. :)

Reply to
GB

sand/wire-wool to remove the plating anywhere you're soldering it

if bending it, you'll probably be unlucky and the plating will flake off

Don't spoil the job with those clip-on "plastic chrome" pipe collars, gulp at the price then buy the solid brass ones, e.g.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've never bothered with the latter when fitting rad valves (don't remember Dad [ex-gas board] recommending it) and never had problems.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Compression joints are fine with chrome pipe.

Reply to
ARW

Don't bend or attempt to solder or use push-fit.

I've used chrome compression fitting where I had to. Despite another poster mentioning about issues with olives, I confess I didn't have any problems [1] although a brass olive is recommended as its harder and more likely to pinch into the chrome.

[1] That might be because chrome compression fittings probably come with a brass olive?
Reply to
Fredxxx

Just remember to tighten them a little more than you would on plain copper since the olive can't bite into the pipe quite as easily.

(I say this having had a rad valve pop off the end of a pipe when I touched it!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Copper & brass don't bite into chrome, so there's always the possibility of slip between the 2. Occasionally the result is the pipe coming right out. Like anything you can do it, and it's usually OK. But it gets messy when it isn't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Shouldn't be a problem on low pressures like central heating. More of a problem on mains pressure.

Reply to
harry

And hide the edge where you removed it. It is also possible to find really bad Chromed pipe where the chrome kind of peels off like a scale. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is there a vast amount? For the pipework on show in my bathroom - just a very small amount to the towel rail and rad - I just painted the copper with chrome paint. Which looks more like brushed stainless steel - but OK at a glance. I didn't even consider chrome as it had to be bent.

I wanted the minimum amount of pipe showing, so concealed it in the wall behind the tiles with just a small bend out to the connections to the towel rail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To solder, you'll obviously have to file the chrome off the end.

With compression joints, I use brass olives as they allow a harder "bite" into the pipe.

Other than that, nothing special really.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Shouldn't do - I bent a few bits in my bathroom and no such problems.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd say it would be difficult to remove the chrome neatly anyway - being so hard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup never had a problem myself either. However I expect there might be some poor quality pipe out there since I have seen a few people mention a flaking problem over the years.

Reply to
John Rumm

Many sealed systems will run at something approaching 2 bar when hot. For some, that *is* mains pressure.

Reply to
John Rumm