Chrome tubing rusted

I fitted some chrome tubing over the bath for the shower curtain.

I also used chrome coated copper pipe in the same area.

Over the years the chrome tubing (the type B&Q sell for wardrobe purposes) has rusted, but the chrome plated copper piping is unblemished.

The rust likes unsightly, and I was going to just get some steel wool to scrub off the rust spots.

It there any other treatment that might give some added protection?

It's a crazy idea, but I even considered clear varnish, but I guess that would be stupid, right?

Reply to
S R

Repl;ace with stainless steel pipe.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

People tend to think that the chrome itself in chrome plating prevents rust but it's actually microporous to some extent and in high quality plating it's the layers of zinc or copper underneath the chrome that prevent the underlying steel from rusting. The chrome just provides a hard top surface which is wear resistant. So cheap single layer plated chromed steel items designed for dry conditions will not really last well in wet ones such as a shower or a car bumper.

You can't cure existing rust. Easier to replace the item. Chrome plated copper as you've found will last forever.

Reply to
Dave Baker