Chrome going rusty - cure?

Spouse bought one of those hang-up chrome plated basket things intended for the shower to hold shampoos etc. It has only been in there a week and is showing signs of brown rust starting to form in various places! If we can find the receipt it will go back to the store, but failing that can it be painted or sprayed with anything to stop it going rusty?

I suppose the obvious solution is a rub down with emery paper and a coat of hammerite, but it won't look very nice in the bathroom. Any better suggestions?

I get sick of buying stuff that turns out to badly designed, crap or not fit for purpose. This wasn't cheap (£12) so I wouldn't expect it to go rusty in a week!

Reply to
David in Normandy

David in Normandy wibbled:

I think you have a clear case of "not fit for purpose". Take it back and demand a refund citing those words.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Chrome's lobody crap in most situations; cheap decorative chrome is a waste of everything. Best to get stainless steel, if possible or, I hate to say, plastic. But wimmin go for prettypenc rather than durability.

Reply to
PeterC

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim S saying something like:

He's in HawHeahaw Land. All he'll get is a Garlic Shrug.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A Garlic Shrug? ITYM Gallic...;-)

Anyway, I paid 60 bloody quid for a stainless shower tidy, as She=20 wanted 'that shape' and I insisted on stainless...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He was probably correct. After giving me the gallic shrug they pelt me with garlic until I leave the shop! I don't know if there is a "fit for purpose" principle in French consumer law. They have some weird laws here (when compared to UK laws).

Reply to
David in Normandy

You say 'C'est Merde' ot 'Mille Fois Merde a vous' spit your own garlic on teh floor,, and walk out. never to return..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher