Chopping up a wardrobe

I'm looking to bastardize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under the sloping roof. Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the corner off or chop the back. Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I once had to cut down 6 brand new IKEA double wardrobes for a lady - her husband had measured the ceiling height incorrectly :-(

Took about 4" off the height.

Is it flatpack or pre assembled?

Picky of proposed location?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Chainsaw

Reply to
RW

Angle Grinder :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Lay it on it's side?

Reply to
Mogga

circular saw, electric plane. Not jigsaw.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Fein MultiMaster

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've not bought it yet but will probably be from IKEA as my daughter has furnished the room with everything else from there!!

is the loft. It would either be to the right of the banister facing the camera so would need the corner chopped. Or just before the door on the right so would have to chop the back.

There isn't that much room to play with. The vertical walls start sloping at

1.2m

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I chopped the top off a wardrobe-like thing (part of a huge horrible built-in furniture item left behind by the previous owners) in order to use it in my shed. Circular saw straight through it in-situ worked fine, but then again I wasn't looking for anything especially neat - is this for an inhabited loft?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Usually no problem if you ditch the KD fittings and replace them with screws

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes is it will be a bedroom for a teenager so needs to be presentable.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Bedroom? Teenager? Presentable? That's an odd combination of words! (I know, Dad's slightly rough DIY is on a par with placing him/her in Guantanamo. His/her dirty ?socks?, and last weeks' supper plate are irrelevancies).

On a more serious note, the problem you will have, is that the whole thing is structural. You will need to fit some bracing otherwise the whole thing will shake like a jelly (or just fall apart). You will also need something to cover the bare chipboard where you make the cut.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

How about 'to the right of the banister facing the camera' & trim the bottom off to lower the height, leaving the corner as is. That would be easier & leave it structurally sound. If you cut the corner off, the doors gonna ba a problem I reckon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman