Choosing new radiators question

Hi,

Considering changing all radiators. Found some called BIASI in B&Q. The enamel finish on them looks cream not white /comparing with the packaging which is white, so no light effect here/.

  1. Are all budget radiators not white and if they are white, do they go darker with age and how soon?

  1. Comparing BIASI, Barlo & Vogel Noot like for like /size and double convector/ the BIASI seems to have highest BTU output by far /over 1000 on 7500 Btu/. How is that possible?

  2. Are Barlo, Vogel better than Biasi and why?

Thanks in advance Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

"Rafal" wrote in news:404651f2 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

No - I got one from Plumb Center - their own brand. Very good white. In fact, a much nicer radiator - if that sort of thing turns you on... :-)

Did someone say they were made by Myson? Or is that mis-remembered?

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

I shall leave others to comment on colour differences. [You can always paint them in the colour of your choice, if you don't like the supplied colour].

With regard to heat output, make sure you are comparing eggs with eggs. All similarly constructed radiators of a given size (e.g. single panel with fins) will have a similar heat output under the same operating conditions - BUT there are variations in the way in which manufacturers specify the output.

Heat output depends upon the difference between the mean temperature of the radiator and that of the room - sometimes referred to as Delta-T (using the Greek symbol for Delta). For example, Stelrad use a Delta-T value of 60 degC - based on a room temperature of 20 and a mean rad temperature of 80 (flow 90, return 70). Some other manufacturers use a Delta-T of 50 degC - which would make exactly the same radiator appear to produce over 20% less output.

A realistic Delta-C value for domestic CH is about 55 degC so, when comparing radiators, you need to adjust the published figures to allow for this.

Cheers, Set Square

Reply to
Set Square

I did, and they are. PC don't hide that. They are different sizes though.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Check the temperature differential at which the BTU is quoted. When I was buying, different manufacturers used almost as many different temperature differentials in their brochures. There's usually a table to convert, and you have to do this. Also note that the differentials they quote are often higher than you are likely to use (e.g. 60C), and this gives a misleading impression of the power output. In the case of a condensing boiler, this is a very significant factor -- you will likely find the radiator outputs are down to around 60% of the leaflet values.

I used mostly Ultraheat-4 and Ultraheat-6 radiators which I liked. Got them from a local independant high street plumbers merchant. Probably more expensive than those in B&Q (didn't check -- wasn't buying on price), but they could get me any size/shape in 100mm increments first thing next day, including a few triple-panel ones with bottom-entry pipework (the Ultraheat-6's), and I liked the style. Ask me again in

5-10 years time, and I'll tell you how well they're lasting. B&Q stock very few sizes in comparision (and you have to sort through them to find the one that isn't banana shaped or looks like a fork lift ran over it).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Re: colour - try Wickes. They do white radiators in a good range of sizes ... and have recently been running a sale (not sure if it's still on). Their latest brochure quotes Delta T50 ratings (see previous posts).

&rew
Reply to
Andrew L.

If these are the roll-top ones made by Barlo, be warned the paint finish on the bottom seam is very poor and prone to rapid corrosion in any particularly humid environments.

Reply to
John Laird