Choosing location for kitchen appliances

Page 2 of 3

AFAIK, cupboard doors should not be able to open against the oven - ie. you should be able to have both the cupboard door open and the oven door at the same time. Not sure where I heard that though.
(David Hearn) wrote:

That's very logical advice. Unfortunate for my kitchen layout, but very logical.
Mark W.
Mark Webb wrote:

I've had to do a lot of juggling of cupboards and appliances in my galley design to allow me to open the doors without them colliding. I haven't quite got it 100% as with the dishwasher open I can't open the fridge. So if anyone wants a cup of tea, they'll have to wait until the dishwasher has been filled :)
-Duncan
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:45 +0100 (BST), Mark Webb wrote:

layout (limited by space). The oven is next to (maybe 50mm away) the corner. The only scorching I have had since the previous units went in around 6-7 years ago is to the edge of the door on the other side of the oven, ie in line with it. This is much closer than the surfaces round the corner. I think the problem is constant heat leakage around the door when it is shut, rather than the occasional higher levels when it is open. The old doors had stuck on edging, and the heat had caused this edging to peal away. Hopefully I wont have the same problem with the new ones that have a one piece face+edge.
snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localnet (John Armstrong) wrote:

That's obviously the worry. Our current kitchen has the doors with a continuous 'skin' over the front and edges. The toaster caused one edge to peel up when it accidentally got left too close (so still beware).
Mark W.
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:02 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Mark Webb wrote:

My newer oven is also a better design than the previous (cheap) one. On the old one, the front of the body of the oven was flat around the edges, so any heat leakage past the rubber door seal went sideways. Then new one has a lip around the edge of the door to deflect the heat forward.
Something like: Old Oven: | | HOT | ====|_____ Cupboard ========== ::::::::::: ========== ::::::::::: ^Door got scorched at top of this edge. New Oven: | HOT | | ====---\ Cupboard ====== \ :::::::::: =========\ ::::::::::

of the window the you could put the hob there with one of those new trendy chimney hoods over and you'd be the worksurface depth from the window and not too far from the outside for a vent.
I remember from years ago when my mother put a hob next to a tall housing unit she had to leave a 15cm(?) gap on either side for fire regs. Make sure you are fairly close to a worksurface anyway, as you don't want to be jogging across the kitchen when you are lifting someting scalding hot out of the oven.
Give us a pic of your kitchen layout and let all the budding planners loose on it, it'll give u ideas at least.
snipped-for-privacy@dontsendmail.com (Suz) wrote:

Will ASCII art do? +-----------------WWWWWWWWWWW-------------+ |TTTTTTTTTHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT| |TTTTTTTTTHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT| |DDDD OOOO|Internal wall WDDDD OOOO| WDDDD OOOO| WSSSS FFFF| WSSSS FFFF| |SSSS FFFF| |TTTT % /door %\ % / % \ back door %/ % \ | +-------%%%%%%----------------------------+ \ Internal wall \ door \
W = window
The rest are our current thinking. O = oven F = Fridge S = sink D = dishwasher H = hob T = worktop
Mark W.
Good ascii art btw What are the dimensions of the room Mark? Esp this wall\ \

snipped-for-privacy@dontsendmail.com (Suz) wrote:

4.74m x 3.50m (approx. - not yet plastered).
Mark W.
(Suz) wrote:

What about this? Corner hob - its hard to do in ASCII. Neither oven or diswasher will be opening close to anything, so easy access. The fridge juts over the side window a bit, but if it's not too high then it wouldn't block too much. I think having an eyelevel oven is a good idea and keeping the hob away from it leads to more comforatable cooking. The corner hob would be near external walls for venting, but the extra worksurface souds keep it off the window for hygiene. You could then centre the sink and diswisher in the big window which would look balanced as you enter the kitchen.
+-------------------WWWWWWWWWWW---------------+ | TTHHHHTTTTTTTTTTDDDDSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT| |THHHHHHTTTTTTTTTDDDDSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT| |HHHHHH TTTTT|Internal wall WTTHH TTTTT| WTTTT TTTTT| WTTTT OOOO| WFFFF OOOO| |FFFFF OOOO| |FFFFF % /door %\ % / % \ back door %/ % \ | +-------%%%%%%------------------------------------------+
I'll try that again.....
+-------------------WWWWWWWWWW----------------+ | TTHHHHTTTTTTTTTDDDSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT| |THHHHHHTTTTTTTTDDDSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT| |HHHHHH TTTTT|Internal WTTHH TTTTT|wall WTTTT TTTTT| WTTTT OOOO| WFFFF OOOO| |FFFFF OOOO| |FFFFF % /door %\ % / % \ back door %/ % \ | +-------%%%%%%------------------------------------+
snipped-for-privacy@dontsendmail.com (Suz) wrote:

The short wall windows has a MUCH better view (open fields) vs the long wall (old farm buildings), so I'd rather keep the sink there. Also, within the limitations of ASCII art, the overlap of the fridge to the window would be nearly 50% the width of the fridge.
We did look at a corner hob but though it was too close to the sink if we put the sink in front of the 'nice' window.
Mark W.
snipped-for-privacy@NOcix.SPAMco.TODAYuk (Mark Webb) wrote in message (Suz) wrote:

Working from left to right
For reasons of boredom while washing the dishes I would put the sink under the window so you can look out while doing the dishes. Right hand drainer sink- dish washer underside. Hob where it is. Built in oven housing in corner - worktop - Fridge freezer where it is in in your original plan.
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (dave) wrote:

Hmmm... I didn't think it was safe/desirable to locate an oven in the corner. Are you talking about a housing 'across' the corner? I've never seen one like that before.
Mark W.

Hi Mark
Many of the software packages used by the "pros" are available as a demo version. The one that I've used is kitchen draw see http://www.kitchendraw.com/ or http://www.easycadplus.com /
its a 6.8Mb download which may put a few people off, but they give you 30 hours free use which should be more than adequate for my purposes and far more useful that the usual 30 days trial period.
I didn't spend a great deal of time looking at alternative packages but found this one to be very useful so far, I've still to finish off the kitchen design (...I've still to finish the plans for the extension as well), but it has proved very useful so far, and I will be using this package again as it looks like we're doing the bathroom over the winter and leaving the extension until next spring time.
cheers
David
snipped-for-privacy@onetel.net.uk (David Moodie) wrote:

Yes, I've already had a go with Kitchen Draw. Not entirely intuitive IMHO (e.g. built in appliances). Also, it took KD support to find out which I couldn't place my windows on my walls. Height to top of windows 2.3m, height to top of walls 2.2m. Obvious really, but not easy to determine from the error message.
Mark W.
Hi
I can just mention a few details that seem relevant to some options mentioned. First if there is anything tall close to the hob I'd want to cover the side of it in sheet stainless for fire safety and for cleaning. Chipboard corners dont survive repeated wetting (nor pan fires). Secondly an oven in a corner is a perfectly good position, position it at 45 degrees. Thirdly some ovens have fan cooled doors, so a hob over the oven can be a non issue with one of these. Even with an ordinary oven I've not found it any big deal myself.
Regards, NT
Also, with a hob above a floor-sitting oven, the one extractor hood covers steam (or smoke) from both. With separates, you may need a hood over the hob and some other type of extractor when the inevitable burned food happens.
When I get home, if I don't smell burning I conclude that tea is a salad... !
Mungo :-)
"Mungo Henning" wrote | When I get home, if I don't smell burning I conclude that tea | is a salad... !
And if you do smell burning, tea is going to be a salad when you've extinguished the oven :-)
Owain