Choosing a new lav

Hi,

When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance of the device and precious little information on the rather more important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat the best "flusher" on the market.

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

|!Hi, |! |! When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new |!toilet is a good "flusher"?

You can not buy a good flusher nowadays, the specification has changed due the water saving requirements. Could you buy a second hand one with a 2 1/2 gallon *high* tank like they used to be? Not sure if fitting a 2 1/2 gallon tank is legal any more.

|!I'd rather have some recommendations than |!chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance |!of the device and precious little information on the rather more |!important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I |!guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat |!the best "flusher" on the market.

The soil pipe arrangement is *crucial*, I changed mine from iron to plastic and got a great improvement, even with a modern low volume tank.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Very satisfied with my Roca Laura after three years, very rarely have cause to flush more than once. (Push button control, too.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

B&Q "Blanco", flushes really well, but has an odd design with the water trap toward the front rather than the back of the bowl. So it places porcelain in the landing zone rather than water - hence guaranteed skid marks!

Reply to
John Rumm

More roughage needed.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

So there is some else out there who cares about this aspect of current sanitary ware marketing. Perhaps the following anecdote may be of interest.

An ongoing toilet replacement project involved the removal of a low level close coupled Twyford S trap suite (the type where the outlet turns down into a pipe in the floor). A good flush had always been obtained and on removal both the pan outlet and plastic pipe were perfectly clean. Looking in the outlet end of the pan there was a perfectly smooth glazed circular path from bowl to outlet. The outside shape of the rear of the pan mirrored the shape and path of the outlet.

Touring the various sheds and bathroom showrooms it occurred to me to look into the outlet of the pans on show. The displays clearly did not intended this aspect to be examined, and it was not always possible. I was shocked to find that for modern designs with parallel easy clean sides, and some others too, the path from bowl to outlet was not at all the smooth circular 'tube' found on the old unit, in most cases the bowl opened into a large unglazed awkward shaped cavity with recessed deep corners before closing again to form the circular outlet. A recipe for blockages?

A picture of the old pan and a couple of shots looking into the outlet pipe of some new pans as described below:

am sure 99.9 % of users neither know nor care about the outlet path of their new pans, only being concerned about the appearance of the finished bathroom. Another triumph of style over practicality.

I'm still looking for a suitable replacement.

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

When I replaced my WC about two years ago, I purchased a Roca Laura unit for about £130 with dual flush. It is absolutely superb - I love the half and full flush option - and it really does flush well, never a single problem - much better than the old diaphram type lever high volume loo it replaced.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

I bought a bog-standard cheap B&Q close coupled about 5 years ago. Can't recall the name, but it turned out to be Royal Dalton when I got it out of the packaging. In spite of being only a 6 litre flush, I don't think it's even needed flushing twice. No complaints at all, except the matching plastic seat was crap, so I took that back and bought a solid beach one in Homebase which matches well the rest of the bathroom.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel