Choosing a GPS

Page 2 of 2
In uk.d-i-y, NC wrote:

You'll be pleased to hear that no such problem exists with the later Garmin model, the Geko. I've set up a couple without needing to do anything even slightly hard, and they were both right.
--
Mike Barnes

http://www.firebond.co.uk/icemart/itm00018.htm
http://www.natterjackrunning.co.uk/acatalog/GPS_Arm_Unit.html
http://www.silva.se/marine/prod_ele/dig_gps.htm
Andy Mabbett wrote:

sized) bluetooth GPS receivers that send their data to a connected device like a smartphone or PDA (do a search for "Emtac GPS" for an example). You then need software on your PDA to process the GPS data stream to do useful things with it. A neat solution if you are going to use the equipment indoors or in a car.
If you want to use the GPS outdoors for walking, then you're better going with the type of device you can buy from Field and Trek etc, since these will be weather proofed and have the right sort of navigation software on them.
tony

The first step is to look at the FAQ in sci.geo.satellite-nav. There are loads of links.
The choice depends on what you want most. I have a Garmin Vista, which I use for walking & cycling. It's not an ideal in-car unit (screen too small, likes to be flat so at the wrong angle to see the screen, no voice-prompt) but its the greatest for walking (small, likes to be flat .... etc). Other advantages are - batteries last all of a long day's walking, I can make my own maps, accurate, tough & waterproof.
The iPaq would be way too big and fragile for roughing it, and the battery life is NBG, but may be good for in-car.
Perhaps both ...!
Jim Hutton
My philosophy is it depends what you want the GPS for.
I've used map and compass for years with no problems.
Last November I misstimed my walk from Seathwaite via Honister Pass, Scarth Gap, Blacksail Pass, Styhead Pass and got "stuck" in foul conditions near Styhead. Discretion being the better part of valour, I retreated to Wasdale Head where I found an overnight stop. Mrs Buchannans farmhouse B&B is much recommended.
I bought the GPS to identify waymarks and pinpoint my position in conjunction with map & compass - not instead of map & compass. It adds a different dimension to walking but my Etrex basic, bog standard does just what I want - I suppose the message is don't get carried away buying bells & whistles if all you need is a GPS to tell you where you are.
Mark nowhere near a gasworks will my GPS work in Guantanamo Bay

Compaq iPaq .... night vision binos, GPS .....
better start looking on http://www.iwantoneofthose.com /
or http://www.boysstuff.co.uk / or http://www.bigboystoyz.co.uk / or http://www.gadgetsuk.com /