Choosing a Dremel Drill

Hi,

I've been asked by 'er indoors to make hints regarding a Christmas pressie.

I think a Dremel drill will fit the bill, but on Googling am faced with an overwealming number of product permutations and combinations.

I have no special application, but can think of many occasions when I could have used one in the past.

I guess decision #1 is cordless versus cable version.

My instinct is to look no further than:

opinions from Dremel users appreciated!

David

Reply to
vortex2

I've used a 'clone' for many years for electronics stuff, and it's cordless. Absolutely great tool. But that's only really drilling and occasional grinding/polishing. If you were using it at its limits - cutting steel etc - I'd say a mains powered one would be better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed, the battery ones are only useful for "hobby" work on small items whilst the mains ones are a serious tool that can tackle surprisingly large jobs. Those little sanding cylinders have a remarkable life and can sand the dodgy bits of a window frame in short order.

Reply to
EricP

Do you want a Dremel, or do you want a drill? Dremels are not really meant to be used for drilling. They are for cutting/polishing/etc.

alex

Reply to
Alex

I've always thought a Dremel type thingy is something you buy when you want a new power tool but have everything else :-)

I'm in the same boat, can't really think of anything I really need & haven't got!

I have considered one of those Routasketch jobbies

anyone got one?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I have one of each. Nothing more frustrating than getting half way through a job when the rechargeable runs out.

I find the fibre reinforced cutting disks particularly useful.

Reply to
Newshound