Choosing a boiler - again.

Oh dear - he's found his 'poetry' pills again. Be best if he learnt to write decent English first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you knew what was suitable you would be asking professionals like me on here.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Viessmann 333 or W-B HighFlow or a Vokera floor standing, etc, etc.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The intro here covers most of them:

I am asking as we currently have an ancient Baxi Bermuda back boiler and are

Although a good proportion of modern boiler use sealed systems, and modern boilers are usually more efficient than older ones, it is not the sealed systems bit that makes the difference in efficiency.

Reply to
John Rumm

You claim to be a professional? Please give details of your qualifications.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK. There doesn't seem to be data for my exact model, though. Not that it matters - if simply means I'll save more money in running costs. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep. It is obvious to anyone with brains. Now you should say.."thank you Dr Drivel, for your advice and I will go out and buy the Viessmann 333".

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well, no actually. It's not at all obvious. Quite the reverse, really.

If only your qualifications were as true as your name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then you obviously have no brains. Boy! he is dumb!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Dave, I was trying to make a serious and I thought helpful comment. I understand that you don't want a combi, neither would I.

I was simply trying to point out that if you thought the Viessman was a good choice then the lack of a system boiler option, if that is the case, should not hold you back.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

How much saving will depend to a certain extent on how you like tonuse the system. If your existing boiler is room sealed then I'd reckon on you saving about 15% maybe 20%. With a conventional flued boiler you'd save a bit more as there tends to be a greater 'draw' on such flues and the boiler was drag in cold air from outside _into the house_ during operation in winter.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You should be OK but measure it anyway if you can.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Please take on board the contents of the SealedCH FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Sorry if you thought that comment was directed at you, Ed, it wasn't.

Trouble is the size of the thing - as expected when it contains an unneeded water store. It's too wide for the cupboard and the height would reduce the 'airing' space considerably. Then there's the cost of paying for the bits I simply don't need.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Drivel the poet laureate of boilers!

By the way, I noticed one verse where you mentioned "heat bank" i'd like to know what you meant but I couldn't give a.............................. ......thought to work it out.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I think Ed was referring to a "normal" combi version rather than the storage model. Pricing on that will probably not be much different to a system version anyway, so it can be a way of getting system boiler functionality.

Having said that, their range booklet here:

they do have a good number of system boilers to chose from.

Reply to
John Rumm

A heat bank is a thermal store using a plate heat exchanger.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

..and connect the shower to it giving high mains pressures.

They are now well priced too. What the plantpot wants is a direct modern replacement for the crock he has. He should re-think the system at this stage, always wise, and use mains pressure water all around, hence a one-box thermal store/boiler, giving high flowrates that can be DIYed. Viessmann are not the only makers of these boilers. Vokera and W-B to name a few.

A "direct" replacement? An open vented boiler like the Glow Worm HXi 27 or

28kW (Vaillant inside). S/steel heat exchanger, premix modulating burner. Good and cheap enough. It also modulates down to 5kW. V good, v reliable, v quiet and good parts & service availability. They also do a sealed version as well without the pump inside, last time I looked. The Hxi can also be sealed by fitting the expansion vessel, etc, externally - a later task if need be.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Erm, thanks.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Which would require extensive plumbing changes that the OP has already stated he does not want.

Getting closer...

Reply to
John Rumm