Choice of circular saw blade

I've acquired 4 beech-block 27mm x 606mm x 1800mm worktops, and I want to saw them longitudinally, using a sawguide and a h/h circular saw. As the existing blade is 'course toothed' and less than pristine after some service in MDF and flooring board, I want to buy a good new one.

I'll also be trimming across the ends a little - although I have a decent sliding mitre tool for that. It's important I get a fine finish and no 'breakout', so should I be looking for the likes of a Trend 48-tooth 'fine finish' blade, or perhaps a 30-tooth job?

One of the Trend 48-tooth blades comes only with a 30mm bore. I need

16mm. Would one of Trend's bore reducers be effective? Problems?

I also expect to need to chamfer/mitre-cut the square edges, and expect to use my router for that. Others might suggest a block plane with a shooting board. Preferences? Why?

Reply to
bilbo*baggins

Apart from SF & Axminster I've found these people very good & cheap for blades

it you have read
I'll also be trimming across the ends a little - although I have a

The more teeth the finer the cut, generally speaking. A good blade can transform a circular saw.

Reducers are pretty standard and no problem at all.

Router. Faster, better cut, more accurate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can say that again. I didn't realise how knackered the blade in my circular saw was until I bought the one you recommended from Axminster. Whoosh! Hot knife through butter.

Mmm. Butter. Must be breakfast time.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks, Dave.

Yes, I have 'hoisted in' the sawboard idea, and I'll be making one up over the next day or two. I've also hunted around and went over to a Trend stockist a few miles away, and got me a 40-tooth Medium/Fine blade he had in stock. I suspect that'll do the job, once I coat it with furniture polish.

Now I'm wondering whether there's merit in scribing a pair of lines with my new supersharp Japanese scribing knife, just a tad wider than the kerf, to inhibit 'breakout' - or should I simply use masking tape?

Reply to
bilbo*baggins

I think one line is the accepted wisdom, it certainly seems to work anyway.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman