Choc bloc connectors

Hi all

I've recently retiled my kitchen and beacause the new tiles are thicker than the old I'm in a position where I can't reconnect up a couple of switched spurs as the wiring is just too short. I've tried and am not happy that the connections are good enough.

The switches are on the ring main and their use is to be a convenient method of isolating the supply to the dishwasher and washing machine without having to pull the appliances out. I'm happy to do without the switches so want to simply connect the wiring together and put a blanking plate in place of the switch.

I know the correct way to do this would be to use crimp connectors and heatshrink etc but is it acceptable (or within the regs at least) to use a suitably rated choc bloc style connector in this case ?

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Screw connectors are ok if they'll be accessible afterwards. If not its crimp or solder.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I cant believe the new tiles can make that much difference they can only be 5mm thicker (or can they)

Reply to
Kevin

I know it's bloody stupid isn't it, whoever did the wiring in the extension part of the kitchen must have been a tight-arsed sod and obviously couldn't tell the difference between copper and gold, all the sockets had barely enough slack to connect up.

Reply to
Jim

Exactly the same in this house, it's as if they were connected then the wires pulled tight from the next socket. Turns a simple job into a pain in the arse.

Reply to
R D S

Luckily I anticipated the wire length to socket problem before the tiler visited in my kitchen. I had to crimp on two 6" lengths of twin and earth to various sockets to enable the sockets to be re-located in their correct postition and being extra 5mm further out due to new tiles.

For some of the sockets I removed a section of plaster board above the socket to gain easier access to the cables which makes crimping, inspecting and testing the crimped connections a lot easier.

Reply to
Ian_m