Chipboard floors

Hi

Need to sort out some creaking chipboard floors before having new carpets laid. I think the creak is from the joint (tongue and groove) between two boards. I am thinking about cutting the joint and just filling it with PVA wood glue. Or, I may cut a patch out and refit adding some noggins for support.

To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to cut a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes etc.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Slider

I usually fix creaking by putting a few more fixing screws in. Should have done so before our lounge diner carpet was laid. Keeps sounding like I am f**ting as I walk through the double doors between the two rooms.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Although a multi-tool will do the job the blades tend to be expensive. It's cheaper to snap off a jigsaw blade so the maximum cut is only to the thickness of the board to avoid damage to things underneath.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I already have put about a hundred chipboard screws in the floor, it's the actual T&G joint that's causing the creak. Thinking if I break the joint then glue it back up, should cure it.

Reply to
Slider

Did think about that, although it's an excuse to buy a PMF-180!! ;-)

Reply to
Slider

Find a bigger excuse and get the Fein.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Too expensive. Could not justify the cost over the PMF-180.

Reply to
Slider

My solution to this has been to get some heavy-duty polythene bin bags, and cut them into long strips 2 or 3 inches wide, and then lay these along the chipboard T&G joints before putting the boards down. In fact, for the miniscule extra effort it caused, it was worth laying the strips along the tops of the joists too! So every 'interface' was then protected/'lubricated' by a layer of slippery polythene.

No more creaking, and no problems in future if I want to lift the boards again.

Reply to
Lobster

Or beg,steal or borrow a circ saw adjusted for depth?

Reply to
fictitiousemail

It will work but blades for those are expensive if you hit a nail, etc. Jigsaw blades are cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Disguise this DIY blunder by actually farting as you walk through the doors.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not forgetting to remove the riving knife if you want to plunge cut.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman