Chipboard at Travis P - shurely some mishrake?

...and don't call me Shirley!

Looked here and the 18mm chipboard (£28.99) was slightly cheaper than the

15mm (£31.99) (probably because they sell more) but the 12mm chipboard came up as £8.40 a sheet!

or

assume this is a mistake, but this seems to give the option of (2 *12)

24mm chipboard at £16.80 a sheet. Slightly over the top for flooring (loft or main room) but remarkably cheap.

Or is the 15/18mm flooring grade, and the 12mm just cheap(ish) tat?

Looking further, I still see no logic in the pricing.

e.g. (1220 * 2440 sheets of MDF)

6mm £10.82 + 9mm £14.63 Total £25.45

15mm £32.59

So two boards which total 15mm MDF are cheaper than the 15mm MDF? Twice the work to produce, plus the extra packaging and shipping, how are they cheaper?

Then again the 18mm MDF is £22.71 so perhaps 15mm is just an unpopular size.

All this came about because I am doing a time vs. cost analysis of cutting up various bits of spare melamine board to floor in a loft space, or just buying new large board.

Now my head husts.

Ho hum!

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

I think they are having a laugh!!

I bought 36 sq m (in 8x2 T&G sheets) of flooring grade (i.e. green finish) 19mm chipboard panels recently for 250 inc VAT and delivery from a local wood shop.

Reply to
John Rumm

At the suggestion of my lady wife (as beautiful as she is intelligent) I nipped round to Homebase for their 10% day.

Flooring packs of 1220*960 are £3.99 (about £3.60 with the 10% off).

So 2440 * 1920 comes in at £14.40.

Cash in a £9 voucher and that put £5.40 on the plastic.

A much better solution all round and much easier to get into position :-)

Still don't understand the pricing principles, but that'll do me :-)

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Most BMs don't publish their real prices, only the inflated "retail" price that is intended for the contractors to use in their bills to the customers. No-one actually pays the published price. Not unless you turn up and look like a lost sheep, anyway.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Great, do they sell mishrakes at TP now? I've had a hell of job finding them anywhere in the past.

David

Reply to
Lobster

New guy at our local plumber's merchant (where I've spent many many thousands on renovation stuff) looked shocked the other day when I said he hadn't taken off trade discount. "What company are you ?" "I'm me. And I've spent enough here to pay for your salary. Check with .... " (the boss) "Oh." Knocks off 10% "Twenty percent !" "That's for " I stare at him before sentence comes out of his mouth. Rest comes off.

Reply to
G&M