Chimney rebuild advice

I have an existing coal fireplace in the corner of a room with the chimney cut off just above the slates.

I'd like a wood burner in the middle of the wall, a 45 degree metal? flue joining the existing chimney around ceiling level, and then to rebuild the chimney stack to around ridge height.

Would I rebuild the chimney around clay liners, if so how would the steel flue enter it?

Or is there a better way of doing it?

[george]
Reply to
george ~ dicegeorge

In message , george ~ dicegeorge writes

How old is the house? Is the existing flue part of an outside wall?

It has been said that condensate from woodburning settles in the cold top part of flues. I think it is better to have an insulated liner so that you minimise condensation, have a good *draw* to your stove and reduce the risk of *cool* smoke blowing into your neighbours windows.

Bolting an insulated double skin flue up an outside wall would be good. Scaffold, bricklayer, stainless liner, BC involvement, costly!

Lots of detail on the various woodburner sites.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For what it's worth, from my own experience: We wanted to install a wood-burning stove into our wood-burning fireplace, but found out that what is legal for one is very different from what is legal for the other, due to the higher expected flue gas temperatures with a stove. It's up to you, but I would have this checked out first.

Reply to
Davey