Chimney lining - parging material

Hello,

I am in the UK and live in a property that dates from 1620. The house has two Inglenook fireplaces that share a common chimney (but different flues). The previous owner did not use the fires for at least 30 yrs. As I am the new owner, I wish to use the fires again.

The parging is coming away in several places and there is repointing/relaying of some bricks required.

Can anyone recommend the appropriate parging and mortar mixes I should use in this case?

Thanks.

DAI

Reply to
DAI

Sir

I had a similar age chimney. There are now piles of regulations on chimneys. There is also info to suggest that you may not be fully insured if you do not have a chimney upto modern regs. I spent a good time working with the guy from hotline chimneys, and in the end re-lined mine with a metal liner, and Building Regs compliance.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

On 26th November there is a Historic Chimneys day at Hampton Court which I am going to. Hopefully once I return I will be able to give you chapter and verse

but meanwhile

Do a smoke test

I am not confident that fresh mortar would stick well to a sooted chimney

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Hello,

Thanks for the advise. I have reviewed the insurance, but there are not specific aspects related to maintenance. The family has several similar properties; one has installed a woodburner with liner, the other has two wonderful inglenooks fully original but without parging, and then there's mine. One reputable chimney company is happy to reline with Isobond and a refractory mortar, or metal liner.

I may well attend the chimney day at Hampton Court. Thanks for the info. I will check the diary.

DAI

Reply to
DAI

You do not want to restrict flue dimesnions for an open fire.

Lining is appropriate. but steer clear of metal liners for open fires.

Talk to your local building control: If they OK it, the insurance will be fine.

Not sure what parging is either :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never been to one of me Pargeting talks I see :-)

Parging=pargeting=pargetting

which used to mean any sort of plastering which was not flat. So it not only meant decorative plasterwork on the outside of buildings, but also rough plaster to line a chimney flue