Chimney liner advice

Hi,

Have spent some time with google groups trying to find a definitive answer but still not sure...

I need to install a liner into an old stone chimney but have had conflicting advice on what's required. It's for a decorative flame effect gas fire, house is stone built around 1920. The chimney looks to be about 12-14" diameter, when doing a smoke test smoke appeared in one of the upstairs rooms through the open fireplace, hence my need for a flexible liner.

Some say a standard 7" liner will be fine, others indicate 6" or 7" twin wall liner is required. Doing on the job on a tight budget, but safety is of course important. The instructions mention a 7" flue liner should be used but don't mention twin wall, although a diagram of a Class 1 chimney is shown. The appliance is described as 'For decorative effect only' manufactured to current issue of EN 509.

Can anyone offer any advise please?

Many Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike A

Anybody able to comment please?

TIA Mike

Reply to
Mike A

A liner should be sufficient, but I'm not certain whether you must fix the leaking chimney, it would be a good idea for sure.

With a twin wall flue and you would not have to fix the chimney, however instalation inside the the chimney will be challenging...

AIUI the term 'For decorative effect only' means the fire is not intended to be the main source of heating, it is simply too inefficient to be used in that manner.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes.

If the chimney is pre 1970 I thik, you are allowed to put in a single wall flexible flue liner. Post that you need double walled. Never sure why, but its a fact.

There are various grades depending on the expected flue temperatures. I had to use stainles insulated dowble walled for a wood burning stove. VERY expensive. About 600-700 I think for an upstairs room. Fitting it involved dropping it down from the pot and then fixing to a new pot afterwards.

Howver, nce its in ytourt fire safety aspects are fiully covered.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher