Childhood DIY experiments

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Ditto, with 1/2" bore steel gas pipe, a handgrip and suitable pair of BBs. I had tested it before holding it, but it was effing daft. Still knocked an impressive couple of holes through re-inforced and laminated glass.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah, dim even as a child, eh? I opened many .22 cartridges as a child by using a pair of pliers. I had reasoned that the bullet was supposed to come off and I was right.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why did you open 'many'?

Reply to
brass monkey

I thought it was a spent bullet. I had never seen a cartridge. Nor had I any reason to suppose that my father would leave live ammunition in a drawer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To make a bigger bang.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Runs in the family, eh?

Reply to
Steve Firth

What, the military instinct. Possibly. In which case watch what you say.,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, absence of common.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Did that once with hydrogen made from caustic soda solution and aluminium foil. It was last seen as a tiny spec in the sky.

Reply to
Mr Benn

Sam Barros, the guy who runs the following website really knows how to have fun with anything dangerous.

Mr Benn

aha, yes - not seen that site for a while. It's on the to-do list to try building a Tesla coil (and not ending up dead in the process) now that I finally have room for one. Years ago the Glubco website used to make for interesting reading too, but I think it's been AWOL for some time now.

There's a company a few miles away that makes / services neon signs, and I really must get around to dropping in and seeing if they have any NSTs that they don't want (being in the US means there's a *lot* of neon around, and there must be times where the sign gets broken but the NST's still good)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules