Chiiped car windscreen - best way to fix?

Just noticed a really tiny chip in my windscreen, probably a mere 2 or

3mm across by about 1mm. No cracks emanating from it and I want to prevent any from occurring.

The chip isn't directly in my line of sight, but is just off to the right of said area.

From Googling around I see a number of chip repair kits are available, but are any of them any good?

Or should I just phone up my insurance company (I'm fully comp with a £60 excess on windscreen replacment)? (would have phoned them now but they're closed for obvious reasons).

Ta.

Reply to
jamma-plusser

Get the insurance company. Normally that's done free, no excess (they'd rather pay for that than the broken windscreen that can develop).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Seems most now have a 10 quid excess on repairs. The guy who did mine a few weeks back claimed it was to stop people going to random bloke under a tent in the supermarket carparks (is it just Folkestone that seems swamped with these at the moment??)

Mine is 10 quid excess only if I use their prefered company - otherwise it limited to 50 quid in total (and a 10 quid excess IIRC).

But to the OP, yeah, call the insurance company (there is probably a glass phoneline which will actually be AutoGlass or similar :))

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Thanks guys. :-)

Reply to
jamma-plusser

Might be worth checking the rules on chips/damage/repair in relation to he position on the screen.

In an area 290mm wide centered on the steering wheel and swept by the wipers any damage that won't fit inside a 10mm dia circle is an MOT fail. Or in the rest of the swept area damage not fitting in a 40mm circle.

More detail:

good repair, ie one that it "invisible" or barely detectable, is not counted as damage.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Greetings all!

Does 'excess' mean what, over here in NA, we would call a 'deductible'?

In other words one may have a policy under which one pays would typically pay the first, perhaps $100 of any repair with a total cost of under say $3000; or something along those lines?

The 'deductible' idea being, we guess, to avoid piddly little claims for minor stuff like scratches etc. But it can also also reduce the premium charged quite noticeably.

Anyway off to watch BBC World news; seems to be one of the few services, among those world-wide to be properly functioning without a hangover today!

Cheers.

Reply to
terry

Yes but with no limit where it goes away. You always pay the "excess".

Why have you followed up to my post with no reference to insurance excess anyway? Ah, google groups again, say no more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The chip has now been fixed for free by Autoglass, so let's see how long it lasts. :-)

Thanks for all the advice and a Happy New Year!

Reply to
jamma-plusser