Chest Freezer Hinge

The spring counterbalanced hinge mechanism on my venerable Bauknecht chest freezer recently exploded (both sides) spraying springs, washers, push rods all over the place. I think I can work out how to reassemble them but the gizmos which keep the push rods aligned with the projection on the lid appear badly mangled and I can't really see how they were meant to do their job. I've had quite a few hair raising twangs while I have been fiddling.

Anyone know a source for these hinge assemblies? Better still has anyone successfully repaired them?

Reply to
Roger Cain

I buy all my appliance spares from espares.co.uk or

4ourhouse.co.uk They've always been good, last thing I needed was spring loaded hinges for our double oven and yes they had great potential for serious personal injury too so be careful :)

HTH deano

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I have been VERY wary of this device since the push rod disengaged and gave the ceiling a mighty thump.

Have fashioned a push rod guide from a piece of scrap galvanised iron (ex-joist hanger) to stop it wandering away from the arm it is pushing against. So far no flying metal and the push rod is still nicely aligned. Just got to make similar for the other hinge and I should be back in business :-)

Reply to
Roger Cain