Cherry picker, but pole, not platform!

I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have already, on a long pole.

MM

Reply to
MM

Panic over. I found this!

What a clever idea.

MM

Reply to
MM

This kind of thing?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Apple picker? I used to have one of those. Much as you describe, though latterly I found I could not see well enough to use it and it went some years back. I'm sure they had a trade name, but it eludes me at the moment

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not cheap but...

D.M.Chapman

Yeah, we have currant bushes and picking is fiddly. This appears to have the potential to make things much less fiddly. Also a couple of gooseberry bushes, they are just painfull, this could keep the bush at arms length. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sadly, no. I saw that too, but it's for apples, and probably pears, but no good for cherries.

MM

Reply to
MM

It is a while since I had any, but IIRC the suggested technique for currants is to pick bunches and then, whilst sitting comfortably, comb through them with a fork to remove the berries.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Ah, yes, as you say, not cheap, but is just the kind of tool I was envisaging -- until I found the Instructables (see my earlier reply in the thread).

MM

Reply to
MM

Do outdoor cherries ripen in your neck of the woods? They don't seem to here in SE, not unless we have a flaming June

Reply to
stuart noble

Mine do! In south Lincolnshire, that is. I planted the tree (£7.99 from Aldi) about 7 years ago and for three years now I've had had an abundant crop or really sweet, plump cherries. Biggest problem is keeping the ruddy blackbirds off them.

MM

Reply to
MM

In message , MM writes

Yes. I have a large tree just outside my window here and every year we see a huge crop ripening, then they are gone. The neighbour complains about the constant, loud fluttering noises as the crop disappears, and then about what drops all over his car.

Any advice gratefully received. It's a full sized tree, with masses of green cherries level with the bedroom windows at the moment.

Reply to
Bill

Net over the tree.

Reply to
John Williamson

"I have a large tree " "It's a full sized tree"

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Certainly is a good idea: I wish I'd seen that before I lost nearly all the apples on our tree last year and decided to give it a hard trim back to make them more accessible.

Reply to
GMM

I've tried tying old CD-ROMs to the tree. Also tried toy windmills I saw in Lidl. You stick 'em in the ground close to the tree. Might have frightened some of the bird maruders off. But I get so many cherries from a relatively small tree that there are enough for me and some left over for the neighbours. It's just annoying, though, to discover a perfect specimen under a leaf, then find it's been attacked by a bird or a wasp.

MM

Reply to
MM

Well I'm in the SW (France that is) and mine aren't ripe yet, but those in a friend's garden 3 Km away were finished

2 weeks ago

John

Reply to
JTM