Checking the slope of spouting

Any clever ways of checking the slope of old spouting? It's 3 to 4 metres up from the ground and it's not easy to get on the roof. The fascia board is like a dog's hind leg. New spouting is needed. There are two downpipes, and the spouting goes endlessly all the way around the roof. Clearly the new spouting needs to be lowest where the downpipes are. A 2 foot level doesn't seem adequate for that. A hosepipe with clear tubes on each end is a bit difficult to get up ladders. I could block all the holes in the old spouting and put water in it. That seems the easiest.

Reply to
Matty F

Block all the outlets. Fill with water. Insert table-tennis balls. Unblock one outlet. The water, as indicated by the T-TBs, will flow downwards to that outlet.

If it's really slopey then T-TBs will run downhill without water.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I was thinking of putting water in the spouting and going around with a ladder measuring the water level and marking the fascia underneath. Or writing the distance of the water level from the bottom of the fascia, in mm. The plastic spouting I intend to use clips in nicely if all the supports are in a straight line, otherwise it looks horrible. String lines always sag.

Reply to
Matty F

It's OK, a tradesman has given a very good price for the whole job. So he'll get the levels right. See, we don't always diy!

Reply to
Matty F

Can you hang lines* of equal length from either end, then use the hosepipe trick at ground level to establish horizontal? Measure the distance between your horizontal level and the bottom of the hanging lines at either end, and the difference should give you the slope height.

  • string, metal rod, PVC pipe... anything that you can put a hook at the end to hang over the lip of the guttering... with something rigid enough you might even be able to hook it from ground level with no need to go up a ladder at all...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes I could hang a tape measure from the spouting to the hosepipe near the ground. I'll do that with my spouting that needs to be put on.

Reply to
Matty F