Checking temperature of washing machine

Ok, this is probably a strange one!

I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything!

So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash cycle then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they probably don't exist?!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

What you're suggesting is a data logger. Expensive and OTT. A simple wire thermocouple just inside the door should work.

John

Reply to
John

Just had a simpler thought. Measure the temperature of the water as it's pumped out.

John

Reply to
John

Simpler still, put your hand on the door while it is running and see how it feels ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

|!Ok, this is probably a strange one! |! |!I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing |!machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I |!have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything! |! |!So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash |!independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash cycle |!then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they probably |!don't exist?! |! |!Does anyone have any ideas?

Probe thermometers are now quite cheap.

other places sell that same sort of item.

The wire to the probe is thin enough to go into the *top* of the front seal. I would do it with the washer running but **EMPTY**

Mine gets used for all sorts of temperature measurements, including cooking.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thought of that but the door on my washer's double glazed and runs touch cool.

John

Reply to
John

Cheers, I'd worry about that causing problems with the door seal?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Means dragging the machine out and disconnecting the drain hose.. possible, but with the way my kitchen is configured, is quite a big job.

I did have another thought, get one of the probe sensors, then abort the wash, pump the water out, and test the temp of the wet clothes?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

|!> Probe thermometers are now quite cheap. |!>

|!> Many other places sell that same sort of item. |!>

|!> The wire to the probe is thin enough to go into the *top* of the front |!> seal. |!> I would do it with the washer running but **EMPTY** |!>

|!> Mine gets used for all sorts of temperature measurements, including |!> cooking. |! |!Cheers, I'd worry about that causing problems with the door seal?

The wires to the probe are designed to go behind the door seals of fridges and freezers for which IME they work fine.

Obviously with a washer I would put the probe in the *top* of the door, so that any minor leakage when the wire is in place would cause no real problem, I could not possible envisage an permanent damage to the seal. Run the machine empty.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

My washing machine had just started as I read this Measured the temp through the glass door with my TN1 Infrared Thermometer

read 28.7c on a 30c wash

Reply to
Mark

One of those stick on fish tank thermometers stuck on the bottom of the glass door?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Dallas iButton. Cheap and just barely OTT

Even simpler if you measure on the outside of the door window.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What about where it exits the kitchen? Into a gully perhaps?

Reply to
John Rumm