checking out lintels to bear new roof

I am building an extension whose roof will be supported on the brick wall above 2 existing lintels (over the kitchen which sticks out from house downstairs, and over the back room which has a small bay downstairs only). The plans say the ability of the lintels to bear the roof must be assessed. Best way to do this ? I guess the lintels will need to be exposed at each end where they go into the wall, but will I need to get a struct eng to come round and sign it off, or get the BCO to have a look. Thing is, I wasn't going to get the BCO involved yet, but I need to check out the lintels before I put a temporary wall in under them to enable demolition of the back part of the kitchen and the rear bay. This is kind of reverse of the "knocking through" process that usually happens at the end. Those with experience - best way to proceed ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , sm_jamieson writes

The engineer doing the specifications for structural work on our place said the same thing, some lintels have to be exposed for assesment. The basic rule is if it is wood or metal, they can calculate a capacity by its size/span. If its concrete, there is no way to know the strength.

Hth

Reply to
somebody

On 30 Apr 2007 05:29:27 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, sm_jamieson randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

BCO. The lintels really just need to be inspected visually to make sure there are some there, that they are not ludicrously underspec'ed (eg, a bit of 5mm plate), and that they will be suitable for building a wall over. Provided you've got a reasonable Catnic or similar type, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Well I phoned BCO, he said if they are already present and supporting the upper floor wall, they should be OK. He said build your temp wall under them, there will still be no problem with them seeing enough. I guess if they turned out to be rusted through that would be another matter, but I've had a little peep and they seem OK. After all, they have been "indoors" for years. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson