Check the obvious.

Fitted a replacement dimmer switch for a lady yesterday, restored the power, switched on the dimmer, no lights came on. Checked the connections, re read the instructions, tried again, no lights. Puzzled handyman.

Just then the lady brought me a cup of tea. "Having problems" she asked. I explained that the lights wouldn't come on, although the switch was correctly wired.

"When the dimmer switch failed it left the lights on, so I took the bulbs out" she said.

Doh! Moral of the story, dimmers only work when bulbs are present.

Installed a washing machine & dishwasher today, both wired into FCU's in a brand new house. Checked plumbing for leaks, all OK, didn't switch either on as they were both full of bits, samples of powder etc & it was late.

Got a call from the lady while on the way home, neither machine would work.

Got her to check the CU & make sure power was on. Assumed that the FCU's didn't have any fuses in. Felt stupid for not having looked, but they always come with fuses surely?

Just about to turn around & go back when I hear her husband in the background saying "do you think these switches on the wall marked 'washing machine & dishwasher' should be on"?

Moral of the story, check before you leave :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Have you never heard the principle of the six Ps?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was always taught "If you're gonna make a c*ck-up make it a good one"

Reply to
1501

My favourite one is "measure once cut twice" :-)

and on a slightly different topic

"It's better to have a bird behind the bush than one in hand"

Reply to
David in Normandy

Surely you must have seen that the 'bulbs' (*) were missing!!

I would have at least checked power was getting to the appliances!!

As above statemement

As above statement

HTH

John

  • bulbs are planted in the garden, lamps are what is put into a light fitting
Reply to
John

Alas no. The shades completely obscured the lack of bulbs.

Only if you are an electrician. Normal people call them bulbs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Aircraft electricians call the filaments :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave