Cheapest way to replace dead Combi-boiler??

Hi all

After a 2-year struggle with life, British Gas have finally given no hope of recovery to my 12-year old Saunier Duval Thelia 623 Combi-boiler.

- Is anyone able to recommend the cheapest way to get it replaced for a good equivalent?

- Do I have BG replace it?

- If not where do I look as it seems so hard to find good value reliable companies?

- Are reconditioned boilers worth looking at or not worth the trouble?

- Recommended brand?

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

NO! (not unless they are paying for it all and you are paying nothing). They are well known rip-off merchants.

LO Pages - personal recommendations - ask here - we might know depending on where you are!

Walk away - just don't bother.

I think we've done this to death over the past *cough* year or so :) My new one was a Baxi Platinum - but only coz a) it was what the plumber installing it suggested and b) it has a 5 year guarantee on the whole unit.

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Depends on your requirements. Many combis now have high hot water flow rates (how you size a combi)

NO.

Buy new. Get a 40kW Worcester-Bosch, or 38kW Glow Worm. The Alpha CD50 fills bath as fast as any cylinder. Go for high flow rates, you will not regret it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is it really at the end of it's useful life after just 12 years? or has it been destroyed by poor servicing? I consider my 13 year old glowworm barely run in.

Reply to
<me9

Hooray! I knew, lurking somewhere in uk.d-i-y there was one opinion EVERYONE was agreed on :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks Dan.

Anyone near London E8? :)

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

Yeh that's what I said to it too. "You BAD BOILER!" Grr.

I'm pretty new to all that. What would you recommend? The hot water rate in the apartment has been quite low with the existing one so this sounds good.

Great, thanks a million. Are there any good North London companies who can supply and fit one of these at a good rate?

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

Well I've owned it for 3 years, not sure about before that, but I have a yearly service. It's had almost every part replaced inc. a new heat exchanger (all at BG's expense thanks), but Gloworm now diagnose it as beyond repair as apparently the wiring loom is shot and almost impossible to replace.

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

Take a look for posts from Ed Sirett. He is in N London and will also give you sound advice and help. It would be prudent to look at his FAQ on boilers as well - URL in his signature.

Keep in mind that the possible flow rate of a combi boiler (or any HW arrangement involving mains water will only be as much as the capabilities of the water supply.

The flow rate of hot water from a simple combi with no storage is directly determined by its rating and the temperature rise required. Generally the flow rate is specified in litres/second for a 35 degree temperature rise. In the winter, the cold mains temperature can be

5-8 degrees so output would be at 40 degrees or just over at the full flow rate or a lower rate at a higher temperature.

The storage combis help a little in that there is some HW stored that can be used either directly or through a heat exchanger. This effectively increases the availability, but only until the store runs out. After that, performance drops to the level of a simple combi. Also, the physical size of these has to be considered.

Having said all of that, it should be easily possible to match or exceed what you have. Everything is relative.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That does sound odd!

If your paying someone to do the job then I would suggest a new one. I would only consider a 2nd hand boiler as a DIY job and then only if the boiler was only 1-2 years old and I got it for next to nothing.

Depending on your DIY skills installing a boiler is not so difficult.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Remember that a combi will not supply water any faster than the mains can feed it. If all your water is main fed how fast is the bath cold tap by comparison?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes thanks for that, the cold tap is faster so I think there is a little room for improvement.

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

I have had a top-level engineer from BG inspect it again today and he confirms the issue is with the loom, and that part is no longer available.

Unless anyone here can say otherwise I will have to get a new boiler...? :(

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

For some inexplicable reason the word "oxymoron" leaps unbidden into my mind ;o)

Should you wish to pursue it further, you should get an idependent GCH bloke in to confirm (and probably give him the job of replacing it). Try and find one personally recommended.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The FAQ is 10 years out of date. Not worth the effort.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's actually in line with reality for most cases

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would have thought that would be easy to replace. the wiring diagram should be ib te handbook. Any decent electrical technician should be able to replace/repair it.

It wouldn't defeat me (but I've spent a lifetime keeping electronic/electrical equipment - some up to 50 years old - operational and reliable)

Reply to
<me9

Matt, you wouldn't know as you a total amatur who has only fitted his own system. As I said, "The FAQ is 10 years out of date. Not worth the effort."

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ignore this fool - it will give sensible guidance.

Dribble only likes the latest and most expensive products he can find in adverts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't live anywhere near London E8 do you? ;)

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson