cheapest non-flammable roofing

Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials? I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed. It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the boundary.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I'm doing a green roof, originally for much the same reason - a workshop that forms the boundary wall. It also looks better, encouraging harmony with both neighbours and SWMBO

"Non flammability" by definition in the building regs is unclear here, but the tests in Germany found that 6" of wet mud is (unsurprisingly) pretty good!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If it has to be cheap then your first stop should be your local Freecycle. There's quite often roofing materials given away there and you could always request some. Tiles appear on ebay regularly too, just search locally.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

What are you using as a base (and sides) for your 6" of mud? I am a bit nervous about a 6" deep roof because by my reading of the various edicts

maximum external height of any part of the roof is 2.5m.

Is the roof sloping, or is drainage not a worry for a green roof?

If it is sloping, once you have allowed for the joists (presumably 150mm+), roof base, and 6" (150mm) of mud then you are cutting back on the maximum headroom at the lower end of the slope.

Then again, if you end up with 2m at the 'shallow end' I suppose this would just be enough in shed terms. Just seems a little bit tight. I am aiming for maximum storage potential.

I am just doing the initial plans now and it looks like being (external dimensions) 7.75m * 3.5m which is quite large, but not that much larger than the garage and two sheds that it is replacing.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Shed is 7.75m * 3.5m so the roof area should be around 28 sq metres. In Marly Acme single camber clay tiles this equates to around 1500 tiles. Prices for new tiles don't seem to be available online but used tiles are coming up (in various far flung locations) at around 20p to 30p a tile. This means that I am looking at £300 to £450 just for the tiles if I can find the right quantity of used tiles.

This is pushing the price of the shed up a lot. So I am looking for an alternative!

Reply to
David WE Roberts

forget tiles - they will be far too costly by the time you've added on all the extra timbers you will need. I recently removed a cement fibre (fake asbestos) corrugated roof from a concrete sectional garage and replaced it with corrugated galvanised steel sheets, they were 3m long and covered 700mm in width, as they have to overlap by 2 bumps. They were about £25 each and we got them from a roofers merchant

Reply to
Phil L

thanks for that - first piece of realisitic financial advice :-)

I have provisionally priced a corrugated metal roof at £150-£200 given the large size of the shed based on some eBay prices. No guarantee I can get similar prices locally though.

Given the sheets you used and a shed 7.75m wide I would not quite get away with 11 sheets wide. I would also need an extra 1/5th sheet for each run as the shed is to be

3.5m deep. So we are provisionally looking at about 15 sheets or £375.

Tonight I have reached the 'buggerit' stage and am considering covering the new shed with tarpaulin until I can recover the tiles from the roof of the garage which is going to be knocked down once it has been emptied into the shed.

The garage is 3m * 4.9m with a peaked roof so there should be nearly enough tiles to do the new roof. I would go out and measure but it is dark and not nice at the moment. Also (I just checked) it is raining. Manyana.

I was hoping to have a longer period before demolishing the garage but who knows?

Also waiting for more details of Andy Dingley's green roof as that sounds very interesting (although my lawn mower is a bit heavy...).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You could look for 'seconds' corrugated sheets. I have bought these from time to time at about £7-00 for 2 metre sheet so much cheaper than perfect. They're not second hand - just a bit damaged in manufacture or transit. I buy from a place in Telford if that's anywhere near you.

You might also look at Marley 'Eternit' slates if you're near a roofing centre. They're easy to use and might be OK for a shed if you can get the right slope etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'm saving much of this detail for a future web page.

Yes! I'm squeaking just under that. As a redesign partway through (4" joists moved from hangers to sitting on the wall) raised the height, I did cut the soil thickness from 1 + 5" to 1+3" (1 inch Perlite drainage layer, geotextile, then soil above).

It can be either sloping or not. Mine is a brick higher in 8 feet, just to avoid risk of ponding in the centre. There are drainage provisions (which I'll be using tomorrow!) to deal with torrential rain, but mostly it's designed so that there's enough soil to catch and retain light or average rain and hold an inch of it indefinitely in the root-free drainage layer.

Apex or even butterfly roofs are quite sensible for a green roof, as you're usually dealing with a seamless membrane rather than a constructed valley (I'm near Bristol, I know all about the horrors of old butterflies!)

You certainly have to do your sums. I'm 4" joists on 400mm centres, 2" structure and 4" cover. Part of the reason for 4" joists was to gain those extra 2", even though I could have spaced 6" at 600mm instead. My width is on the margin where either would be reasonable and my sag calculations were acceptable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , David WE Roberts writes

You could use composite steel roofing.

Not cheap but it is light, can be used at 15 deg. pitch. Meets the fire regs. resists condensation and there is a choice of colours.

I have an idea you reside in my neck of the woods and I have some off cuts if you wanted a sample.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts" saying something like:

You can get seconds of industrial square-bumpy insulated sheeting for dirt cheap if you ask around.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I didn't realise you meant a pitched roof - we used these sheets on a 'flat' roof, IE it slopes down about 8 inches over 6m from front to back. If you want to save cash, this might be a better option than to have a pitch - less timber and less likely to look hideous - I can't imagine galv sheeting on a pitch roof will look too pleasant

If you do decide to have a flat roof, OSB boards and torch-on mineral felt are another possibility, more aesethetically pleasing and, providing there is adequate fall, long lasting

Reply to
Phil L

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Note of caution....

My experience has been that the *fire rating* is withdrawn on seconds.

Commonly sold as agricultural roofing where the regulations may not apply. Whether this is material manufactured before a change in the rules or superficial damage breaches the regs. is beyond my knowledge.

Sealing the ridge adds a bit to the costs. Metre long foam seals are available at 1 ukp ea. and you need a folded ridge to suit the pitch. Attaching gutters can be interesting as, with such a shallow roof pitch, the *drip* is normally 150mm. This puts the gutter well away from the walls and conventional gutter board.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Phil,

couple of things :-)

My new roof is a single pitch 'almost flat' roof. The garage roof is a peaked roof so although the garage is smaller the greater roof area (due to the peak) means that there may be nearly enough tiles to do the new roof.

OSB and torch-on felt does not meet the requirement for 'non-flammable'.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Thanks - I live in Felixstowe, Suffolk.

Although steel roofing is cheaper than tiles, I am currently considering a temporary fix to allow me to reclaim the tiles from the old garage when it is demolished.

Will let you know if I am veering back towards a metal roof :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

How cheap is dirt, these days? ;-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Between =A325 & =A375 / m^3, last time I looked - but the 25 quid stuff was mostly rubble & rubbish.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Ah. About 100 miles then:-) I used to spend my Summer holidays in the corporation gardens there. I'm near St. Albans.

I guess re-using the tiles would be more attractive to planners and neighbours. Although a shallow pitch might be sold as *blocking* less light close to a boundary.

I have forgotten the dimensions you originally mentioned but the agricultural barn I have just erected has 175mm x 75mm timber purlins spanning 15'0 bays so you might escape needing an intermediate truss. The sheets will easily span 4'6" so not many purlins needed. Have a look at

AS35 composite sheeting for more detail.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Look for Box profile sheets ( maybe E bay or a farm store ) they cover a metre and cost about £1-30 a foot and can be ordered in the length required

Reply to
Leveled

I love the green roof on my shed; it looks great from the upstairs windows at the back. HOWEVER, I would never claim it was an economical solution.

Reply to
Martin Bonner