Cheapest Freeview

Page 2 of 2

Its a daewoo SV900 if you want a bit of a google, and yes it does go on tapes. They are shipping about 2000 over here soon apparently, so I don't know if you would ever see one... could start other manufacturers releasing them.
There is also a hard drive type recorder in argos for about 350, and a pointless DVD player (yes player) with freeview for 200.
Bob

Wow - you're right! Nice review of it here: http://www.eddietalbot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/homecinema/setpal/idvcr /
Thanks for that

recorder, and 80 for being able to record off the program guide. ATM freeview only works on "now and next" program guide content, but there are plans to make it a full EPG soon, and the recorder would download an update as and when this happened.
Bob

personal knowledge) that the Setpal tuner from Novopal is superior.
It is only on a few models - I would certainly check it out if I were buying, but to answer the response to a crack I made earlier, even with BBC4 and Radio 6 I'm not tempted!
Of course now Murdoch has booted Ch5 off freesky, that could be a reason for buying if 5 is a problem
mike r
mik

That review mentioned something about Setpal.
Bob

You may think they're pointless (and I would agree that I wouldn't have one) but I can think of some people that would say "you're not having any more boxes stacked up by the television!" This neatly sidesteps the problem of adding another function - the manufacturers know thats their market and price it accordingly.