Cheapest B&Q

Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones nearest to me :)

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could get away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't possibly cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

bart

[apologies if my newsreader sometimes double posts]
Reply to
Bart C

It varies with the financial results they have to quote for the stockmarket. If the profits are down they generally go round the store and put all the prices of the smaller items up, hoping no one will notice or care.

The bigger items don't change 'cos you would tend to notice that and its worth driving somewhere else for a cheaper deal.

bland

Reply to
bland

The Warehouse was to compete with Wickes, who are geared for the trade.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But don't buy any wood from either as it's very poor quality.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

But don't buy any wood from either as it's very poor quality.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

The cost of the item(s) is of very little significance.The market dictates what they charge you.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The cowboy trade, that is. Judging by the ancient vans in the carpark.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Complete with the little "How to do it" leaflets.

Strange that these are not to be found in heating, plumbing and builder's merchants.

Explain why Wickes are open on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

Reply to
Andy Hall

For the same reason that a dog gets away with licking its bollocks.

A little more than 100% by the look of it.

They can charge whatever they believe that people will be willing to pay.

In essence you answered your own question. The store is nearer to you. Your choice is to go to the nearer one and pay more or travel further, incurring real and opportunity cost and pay less.

Seems like a normal pattern of business....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably as I work when the merchants are open so need to go at the weekend. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

So it's that part of the employee training that makes people work there :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I can't think of any other reason.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In my experience if Wickes have what you want it is normally competively priced.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Easy, Wickes are, quite obviously, a retail outlet for subsets of "the trade" as well as D-I-Yers.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Reply to
Doctor Drivel