Cheap weldmesh fox-proof fencing?

Any idea where I can get a large amount of 6' weldmesh for a reasonable price in the Berkshire area? Or something equally tall and foxproof? Is this the type of thing I need, or is it not weldmesh?

'm not getting a lot of luck on t'internet! Ta!

Reply to
Jonathan

I'm not getting a lot of luck on t'internet!

That's galvanised chicken wire.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'm not getting a lot of luck on t'internet!

Whatever type of "fox-proof" fencing it is,if the floor isn't of solid material then you need to line the floor with it too! LOL Years ago, when we kept chickens, a fox tunneled under the fencing and took the lot!

Shiela S

Reply to
Shiela S

I'm not getting a lot of luck on t'internet!

You need chain link fencing

ebay

Mark

I have to agree with electric fencing. It finally put a stop to all my predator problems except hawks. That was solved by stringing white clothesline about 2' apart over the chicken run.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

OK, well, the first people don't ring back, and the ebay one is too short, BUT I some stores I called this morning say "stock fence" or "deer fence" will do the trick, but the gap is 4-6". However:

25mx6' weldmesh=£144.75, 25mx6' stock fence=£40-£66 Can I risk it?

As for relying on JUST electric fence, I think I'll play safe and go for both!

Any reccs for where to get fox traps under £70?!??

Reply to
Jonathan

Try these people - I know it's an Ebay shop but they are proper retailers

may be related to above not sure but again are very helpful

PhilC

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

don't simply get 'electric fencing' you need specifically electric poultry netting. No need for anything else.

Reply to
PammyT

it doesn't. Foxes can and do climb chainlink.

Reply to
PammyT

Indeed. Foxes can also climb stock fence and 2" weld mesh. I have seen them do this (6' high). I guess some foxes are smarter than others.

I wondered about having a horizontal piece of fence at the top (like an upside down "L" to stop this.

Reply to
Alan

I'm not getting a lot of luck on t'internet!

I made a 1 acre emu and rhea compound with 6 foot weldmesh with 2 inch mesh size from:

They were the best price for quantity. I used

3 mm mesh for the emus and 2 mm mesh for a pheasant compound. The pheasant compound is also netted on top, both compounds have anti climb and anti dig electric fence wires, too. Before that a fox scaled the emu compound wire. Big mistake, the emus killed it and trampled it :)

Compound pics at

and at

showing the anti dig wire and the top anti climb wire.

Reply to
Chris

It's kept them out of our garden since 2000.

But ours is well installed, absolutely vertical and taut, held in steel 2" x

2" uprights and top and bottom rails. Unless there is some means of their gaining a purchase they can't climb it. If it's loose they can.

Even the local cats can't scale it.

If you're a belt and braces man you can attach a *loose* length of chicken wire along the top, bendinig away from your garden or weld some 1' vertical rods, about 4" apart, along the top.

In our experience it's simply not necessary. We've watched fox looking up, assessing the problem, almost shaking their heads in despair and going off.

They soon get the message that there's no access.

As someone else said, the ground at the base of the fence must also be protected, we were lucky in that there were already Yorkshire stone flags next to the fence in the adjoining garden. I believe that fox must be very hungry to dig through, though, round here they're not hungry.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

out.

its crap don't bother chainlink with the bottom ½ mt buried L shape facing outwards and a single electric wire on a outward leaning bracket at the top will keep anything out, badgers foxes rabbits deer. And it doesn't zap the campers kids until they have climbed UP the fence :)

-
Reply to
Mark
[about pens for emus and rheas]

Whilst I realise that you're the expert someone really ought to tell you that those aren't rheas - or emus. And if the local wildlife broke in then you live in an interesting part of the UK. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

At last the solution to fox predation - protector emu's What a wonderful idea Trouble is I fear they would not like our climate up here

Reply to
Jill

Yes, they can do. Most won't but some do. I have a poultry keeping friend who lives about a mile away. He keeps several rare breeds, like me, so he's made chainlink runs, maybe 10 by 6 feet for each trio with a hut attached. He was so confident that his chainlink would stand up to foxes that he stopped shutting them up at night. He also had weldmesh buried so that the foxes could not dig in. Well, yes, the chainlink *did* stand up to foxes which is to say they weren't able to break in through it, or dig in. What happened was that when the foxes came it panicked the chickens so much that they stuck their heads through the chainlink to try to escape. The result was as bad as if they had actually got in. 100% kill through heads bitten off.

Tina

Reply to
Christina Websell

On a sort of similiar-ish vein - and at the risk of hi-jacking the thread - has anyone ever had a go at making their own animal cage (i.e. small indoor animal) ?

Just wondering if it's possible to get hold of wire mesh panels (probably about a metre and a half squared) fairly cheaply pre-cut to required sizes that I can fasten together...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

If you put breakfast sushi on the menu you have to expect Reynard to pull up a chair :~)

Shutting birds in their house at least reduces the temptation

Reply to
Jill