Cheap way of reducing dust in loft

Hi,

just flooring in some loft area and reorganising the contents of the junk store.

In the main loft area we have covered some of the rafters with thin hardboard painted white. This improves the lighting no end by reflecting light, and also reduces the dust etc. from between the rafters while still allowing free flow of air between the rafters.

Pleased with the result but it is quite expensive.

Plastic sheeting (e.g. damp proofing membrane) is very cheap.

I was wondering about stapling some of this to the joists to provide a cheap covering.

It is blue (so not as much reflection) but should reduce the dust and spider web count by quite a bit.

Any obvious downsides to this? Flammability is a concern.

Bubblewrap is also a possible plastic contender - more insulation and very light.

Any other equally cheap solutions? Bed sheets (polycotton) seem one possibility. Light, less flammable, and white would reflect the light well. Will have a quick look at prices.

A reflective foil based solution could be reflective and insulating (thinking abvout that stuff you used to glue behind radiators to reflect heat away from the walls) but I suspect this might be quite expensive.

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

The technique I'm going to use is a hoover and several rubbish bags. It is a cheap method :-) but its not going to happen until the waether cools down

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

You could always put a sprinkler up there, keep the dust down :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A method I plan to use is the get a piece of wire mesh/chicken wire. Or preferably the more rigid checker board fencing. At least 18" x 36". I want to lay this over the insulation and vaccuum with the vax, without bag.

Anybody tried this method?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Subject: Cheap way of reducing dust in loft

spray with dilute PVA before flooring, sticks all the dust down.

For making the rafters white, I assume paper would be the cheapest. It comes on rolls. Ali foil is also an option, though it costs more, but I dont see it giving you any insulation value. Used bedsheets are very cheep, not sure I'd want them though.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Limewash is also very cheap: I paid about 6.50 for 25kgs of hydrated lime, and that makes a whole lotta limewash. Add water, mix well, store for 24 hrs, dilute, paint. Store it in closed container to keep the air off it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Has this loft any felt, or is it just bare tiles hung on batons?

Reply to
IMM

Without bag? Err, why? The dust will go everywhere. Cover insulation with thin polythene, with a knife stuck through a few times when folded so it's not a vapour barrier.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Are you conducting a survey?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To clarify, as some people seem to be answering a question I didn't think I had asked :-)

I want to clad the rafters (i.e. the sloping things that support the roof). I am not concerned about removing dust from the insulation (which will be under the flooring) or anything to do with the joists (the horizontal things that support ceiling and floor).

The roof is tile over some kind of tar paper or similar.

There is no insulation betwen the rafters.

I want to cover the rafters (to give a sloping ceiling effect) which will reduce dust and cobwebs at head height.

The solution should be simple, safe, and very cheap.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

"N. Thornton" wrote | spray with dilute PVA before flooring, sticks all the dust down.

Spray with dilute PVA and emulsion mix and will stick the dust down and make everything white. (Including the contents of the water tanks if not careful and covered ...)

| For making the rafters white, I assume paper would be the cheapest. | It comes on rolls. Ali foil is also an option, though it costs | more, but I dont see it giving you any insulation value. Used | bedsheets are very cheep, not sure I'd want them though.

I have visions of wasps/rats/bats/whatever enjoying them very much.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

^^^^^^ Are they for supporting the lightning conductor?

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

What about horticultural fleece its white(ish) air and water permeable cheap esp. at this time of year when every store starts to get rid of its gardening stuff. Only query would be what are its flameproof qualities

Steve

Reply to
Steve

A well orchestrated reply.

Reply to
Pet

Sounds like we have harmony here

Reply to
raden

The fibreglass insulation underfoot is the main dust source in lofts, hence the suggestion to spray the insulation with dilute PVA. Just dont overdo it, I can just imagine someone saturating their ceilings and them all collapsing. :) As yours is floored, taping over the board joints might help, and dealing with any missing gaps.

You say:

quite simply there is no such. Several compromise options have been offered, like paper, ali foil, but you cant have all 3 at once. Ali foil is about as cloe as youll come to that. Paper is cheapest and easiest, but not flameproof. It could be borax sprayed though, borax is very cheap.

If youre willing to go up a notch on price and effort, and do it properly instead of extremely miserly, thin plasterboard would be good. You can get it in smaller sheets for loft work. It meets all your requirements except cheap and quick and easy.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Just a new tune on an old fiddle ...