Cheap trolley jack broken

I have a collection of 4 cheap trolley jacks of various ages that I use for jacking up things like ends of boat trailers and the occasional car.

All of them seem to have a similar small U-shaped clip that connects the hydraulic plunger to the handle. My favourite jack, which probably came from Lidl, has a swivelling handle which makes it really handy in confined spaces. But its little clip has snapped.

Can anyone suggest a source of likely small clips? I've looked at Halfords collection of little pre-packed oddities and been round several stockists of cheap jacks without success.

Reply to
Bill

I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

assortments tend to be of only the one type but multiples of each size, from the likes of Screwfix. Think even Maplin do them.

If you identify the type and measure what it fits someone might be able to help with a couple since it's Xmas. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A decent motor factor should have drawers and drawers of such things.

Reply to
fictitiousemail

just about show where the clip is broken at one of the 90 degree bends. The RH pic has the break at the top.

This may come out....

Bill

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmmm, it works here on the machine I'm signed in on and also another unsigned in machine. It also works with the # removed from the end. I thought I'd done this sort of thing before and it worked.

The pics are pretty bad, so they may not help anyway.

Reply to
Bill

The pics are fuzzy as you say but even so I don't recognise that sort of clip .Is it "exactly"the same on the other jacks? Your best bet is somewhere that repairs/overhauls jacks .

Reply to
fictitiousemail

It's more likely my browser.

Right. ;-)

But if it's not a standard clip your only real hope would be the makers or distributors - and often they simply don't do spares at this sort of level.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pretty certain that this is not a standard part. You will have to improvise a solution- try string, sealing wax, or baler twine!! Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If it started life as a single piece it looks like a bit of box section with a hole in buy a bit and drill a hole in it. Nothing to lose and its not as if it is load bearing

Tony

Reply to
TMC

In message , TMC writes

Ahhh, Tony, why didn't I think of that?

I think it actually started out as a piece of Meccano-thickness steel that was pressed from a sheet, bent and then presumably heat treated, but starting from a piece of box section is the now blindingly obvious way to make a replacement. Thanks.

All the jacks have a very similar clip, which is why I thought they might use a standard, known part.

Reply to
Bill

But if it's a sort of circlip isn't it made out of some form of spring steel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it only turned into a circlip in your first reply :) I just asked about this "U-shaped clip"

It might actually need to be moderately springy to absorb the shocks (and perhaps occasional verbal threats) when working against time, but I suspect that if box section works at all, I'll cobble up enough spares.

I am grateful for all the replies. I just need to wait till my mother-of-all-colds passes and I can get something done again.

Reply to
Bill

I dunno what you call a clip that fits into a circular groove other than a circlip?

If it's not springy it won't stay in a groove for long - and I'd say mild steel won't be springy enough.

Know what you mean - sniffle. But I've seen the sort of thing you're after

- it might just be a case of knowing the correct name to find a generic one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)