Cheap, super-efficient LED lights on the horizon

Article in New Scientist Magazine:

like the CFL bulbs may be obsolete in five years time. Good riddance to them too. So I just need a 5 year stock of 100w Tungsten filament bulbs :-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

In message , David in Normandy writes

They had someone talking about them on radio 4 today

Reply to
geoff

Sounds like the CFL bulbs may be obsolete in five years time. Good

I'd not hold my breath for LED being a suitable replacement for tungsten, light quality wise. Nor do I believe their bit about them being 'three times as efficient as fluorescent'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Plus - with a quoted lifetime of about 10 years, there will be forces abroad to scupper them

Reply to
geoff

That would be a breakthrough too. LEDs when under run have a very long life - but push them hard so the efficiency goes up and the life comes down.

Looks like they've done a dribble for that article - taken the best bits from different specs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These were the figures given by the head of the department doing this development. I was driving at the time and not paying too much attention

Reply to
geoff

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Well they only need to be 3x as efficient OR last 10 times longer to be worth it so even removing the pinch of salt...

He also was quoted:

'Humphreys reckons that the UK government encouraged consumers to drop tungsten bulbs too soon. "We should have stayed with tungsten for another five years and then switched to LEDs'

Can't help feeling he may turn out to be right.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

LED efficiency goes _up_ when they are underrun and cooler. Possibly you mean "push them hard so the output goes up".

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Or simply an axe to grind. Who knows what further developments will happen with fluorescents in that time? Or perhaps HID might join the act.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. Development needs funding. And funding is often raised by hype.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - should have said effectiveness rather than efficiency.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And we return full circle to Global Warming! :o)

Reply to
Huge

Don't get too excited. The LED industry is consistent in only a few things -- consistently failing to deliver anything usable, and overhyping everything they do, which is essential to lure in the venture capital funders.

Don't get me wrong -- there are some exciting LED products there and I've been playing with a few in limited situations where LED lighting does make sense. But we're a long way from a general, affordable and usable solution. If you thought CFL's were poor at lighting, they're streeks ahead of LEDs are.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

>>> Sounds like the CFL bulbs may be obsolete in five years time. Good

"streeks ahead" - Freudian slip?!

I have a 9-LED front bike light and have just purchased (for work) a LED Lenser torch ("as preferred by the Old Bill" etc), both of which are excellent. LED's are probably ahead for cold spot lighting over CFL's. For general room lighting and other colour temperatures, of course, it's a different matter. However, even ignoring the hype there's probably a lot more development potential in LEDS, and the simplicity and small size of LED systems are already attractive. I agree with the quotee when he feels that the ban on incandescent lights should have waited until we could see what LED developments were possible.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

And in theory, 60% efficient incandescents are possible:

'm not expecting economic mass production of photonic lattice based materials any time soon though.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

With respect, that sort of lamp has little in common with room lighting.

For the above use they're cheaper. No power supply. But small battery fluorescents are available. Not that they would make sense for a bike light or torch - but can be for something where a non directional source is needed. Other thing is you'll be restricted in tube types for a small fitting.

I don't see the point in banning incandescent at all. It's simply a 'something must be done' gesture that doesn't require those in charge to actually have to address the real problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

> Sounds like the CFL bulbs may be obsolete in five years time. Good

What is gallium and what risk does it pose to us? I've seen many a nonsense scare story about CFLs mercury content. The next is to be gallium?

I am a long time subscriber to NS. From the early 70s from recollection.

A research project that I was involved in (in the 80s) indicated that processes we undertook in the UK were ensuring that the public were being protected from health risks and gave a green route for "wastes". A reporter from NS spoke to a University researcher and myself to enquire as to the benefits/ concerns of a certain practice. All evidence was sound indicating that current practice was right.

The journalist, then at NS, decided that facts should not get in the way of a story, totally misrepresenting the research at hand.

My name was mud at that time as a result, but I bounced back. The journalist concerned has continued to ensure that facts should not get in the way of a story. I don't know whether the person came through the mirror school of journalism or not.

PS. I still subscribe to NS to keep abreast of current scientific issues. I discount the "facts" that are described and consider the copy as a flag to issues I need research in more creditable documents/ websites.

Reply to
Clot

You're probably already aware of Ben Goldacre's campaign against lowest common denominator journalism?

Appelation Controlee

The only forces required to scupper them will be financial. CFLs have a theoretical long lifetime, but such cheap components are used in them that they tend to burn out much quicker.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason