Cheap radio mike? (slightly OT)

Taken out of context, that has whole different meaning...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's loose could you put a cable tie round it to tighten it up?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes - there are some VHF frequencies that are legal to use. But they ain't in the UK UHF broadcast band. Some cheap VHF radio mics use the broadcast band so you can use an ordinary radio as a receiver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lose > lost. Loose > not tight.

or "The Moose is on the Loose"

Thes mics are tiny, even a small cable tie will be as big as the mic. Suitable replacement foam windshields are available but generally for "pro" mics, thus pro prices.

Not as bad as I was expecting, 2 squidish each for the DPA branded real thing. There is more to a decent foam windshield than just a shape cut from a random bit of foam.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I know, but I bet that everyone who read it will remember what I said :-)

Reply to
Bill

Indeed, I spotted that as soon as I hit send, thank you for pointing it out though :-(

There again I do have some lavalier mics, which are slightly bigger than the one being discussed and the wind shield is held on with a very small cable tie.

Reply to
Bill

Noted and book marked

I've never managed to cut the foam so that it doesn't look like a bit of cut foam, my attempts have always looked naff.

I did a job last year and lost the windshield from one of these as I walked over to the site half way across a golf course with no chance of finding it by retracing my steps. My fault for carrying it LOOSE rather than bagged, I should have known that I would LOSE it.

But a carefully teased out, unused, roll up cigarette filter made an adequate replacement! "Needs must" and all that. Fortunately the user was some way away from any one who might see it.

Reply to
Bill

In message , pamela writes

Might scare the horses though :-)

Reply to
Bill

IIRC, they are frozen solid and machined. Moulding would seal the cells on the outside. Which is why good quality ones ain't cheap - for just a bit of foam.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now that's a possibility I hadn't thought of!

Reply to
pamela