Cheap laser line for tiling ?

I've got some bathroom tiling to do, and I fancy buying a cheap laser line generator. The sort I'm after is a whirling head that projects a flying spot to make a horizontal line. Manual levelling with a bubble is OK, I don't need an automatic pendulum.

They seem to cost around £50 (did I say I wanted it to be cheap ?)

Screwfix have two; one pendulum, one manual for just under 50 and Axminster sell the same (?) pendulum model for just over. I imagine B&Q have something too, but haven't looked yet.

Any recommendations; good or bad ? Anyone used one for tiling and found it either useful or useless ?

Thanks

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I used a straight level type with a line generator lens to put a line around the room for a paper border at dado height. Same set up for transfering the plumb line to the wall (the wall is 2 or 3" out of vertical...). This was with a cheap one, you know =A325 for level, swivel head and tripod all in blow moulded box. The alignment of the laser to the levels bubble is not exact so setting can be a bit of a fiddle but what do you expect for =A325...

Will the twirly type do verticals? You do need verticals when tiling...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Argos do one for £20 - 701/5328

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've never had much luck with those. The line lens isn't a wide enough beam to project a useful width, unless you place the level almost flat against the wall. Then you have a level in the way for the last foot of the wall. The line is also pretty feeble and hard to see.

I've also always found those line generator lenses a pain to set up, to get an accurately horizontal line.

Yes, but not at the same time. But I can use a plumbline for those.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Noticed B&Q had a small one in at £14.99.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Thats the ordinary level with a laser tha Andy doesn't want... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Erm, I put the tripod in the middle of the room, projecting a line about 6' long onto the wall...

Not when the laser is in the middle of the room, you can rotate it round and set the plane how you want it, true level might not be quite right. At least with a laser rather than a ordinary level on the wall you *will* get a plane rather than a spiral... Have you used nothing but a level and got the ends of a line around a room to join up exactly?

I didn't have that problem, though it did get a bit faint with full sunlight streaming into the room. Mine is very similar to the one recently posted as available from Argos.

Not that hard once you have the level level and at the right height. Just swing from side to side so that the line stays at the same point on the wall.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about this one then - also from Argos? :- 701/6365

Reply to
Paul King

I got one of these

for winding up the cat too (as is any laser pointer/line type device) - just don't shine it in the cat's eyes!

Reply to
Googolplex

Thats a rotary =A339.99...

Reply to