Cheap kitchen floor covering

What is the absolutely the cheapest floor covering suitable for kitchen use anyone can think of? It will need to last 3 months and will preferably look absolutely disgustingly tasteless and nasty, in order that we are not encouraged to keep it longer than necessary. We need about 1.4m x 5m, plus two bits of 1m x 0.6m.
Christian.
sawdust ?!

NC wrote:

Newspapers. Saves on cleaning it in the mean time too - just pick up place more down. Also recycles the freebie papers. This (or sawdust) might be deemed a bit of a fire risk, though.
Velvet

If you want to make a reasonable job of it the cheapest ceramic tiles I've found to-date are about 8 per square metre. If you just want *something* on the floor, try a woven plastic tarpaulin. About 5 to do a floor that size. Just taken one up in out second home that we had been using to keep the floor free of plaster and paint splashes while the kitchen (18x18ft) was being renovated. I think that the tarpaulin which completely filled the floor area cost about 12.
--
The wage of sin is death, but after the government has taken its share
all that is left is a tired feeling.

Hi. If you want something that basic, why put anything down at all? Perhaps youd explain. I cn think of a few possibles, but without understanding the situation...
Regards, NT

There is a pile of hardboard underneath which is glued down with about 1 nail per square inch and is far too much work to remove. When you pull the lino up, it leaves a sticky residue on the surface of the hardboard, which is quite unsuited to walk on.
Christian.

Ick. I wont suggest another layer of hardboard then :)
Regards, NT
Christian McArdle wrote:

is a different ugly pattern you'll be less likely to keep it.

Where can I get cheap ugly offcuts of discontinued vinyl?
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

It's a matter of going to every shed and floorcovering shop you can find, and asking what they have.
S Viemeister wrote:

My god, and I thought Yorkshire people were tight!
"Christian McArdle" wrote | Unfortunately, I'm very low on time as well as money, so going round | lots of shops isn't an option. I think I might go with sheet plastic | in the end. I could even leave it down when doing the floor to protect | the floorboards from any water leakage.
Find out of any of your neighbours[1] are considering getting their kitchen redone and ask for their old 'lino'
Owain
[1] Ie people with similarly-shaped rooms.
In the cheap ugly offcuts of discontinued vinyl shop. Also known as B&Q

In the cheap ugly offcuts of discontinued vinyl shop. Also known as B&Q

Hello Christian

Few suggestions:
Ex demonstration carpet. We use this a lot in our shops, and 30 quid buys a 4M x 15M roll. Available in any colour as long as it's blue. Yellow Pages for Exhibition contractors.
Cheapest paper-thin lino you can get. May also need underliner depending on existing floor or it won't even last a month.
Carpet tiles. Not the cheapest, but very effective and quite long lasting. I've used these throughout my house, very good. Fully washable, just lift and hose down outside. Great for spills/pets/kids.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK