Cheap infrared thermometer

I need to bite the bullet in the near future and attempt to balance my CH system - seems that the best way of doing this is by pointing an infrared thermometer at it.

Anyway, had a shufti around this week trying to source one for a reasonable price (think they were around 30 quid and up last time I looked and thought better of it?) The one I found was one on ebay:

7 quid delivered I thought it had to be worth a punt! It arrived this morning and I'm impressed - seems to work OK, although I haven't tried calibrating it properly, other than pointing it at approximate 'knowns' like the inside of my mouth and the fridge.

Even if it only lasts long enough for me to do the CH balancing, I'll be happy! Just thought it was worth passing this on to others.

(no connection with the seller, just happy buyer etc etc etc...)

Reply to
Lobster

read this too... very helpful...

deano

Thanks! There's one less available now...

The advert talks about temperatures in an oven - can it measure the temp inside the oven?

Reply to
Mark BR

In article , Mark BR writes

Nope, long wave IR wont pass through glass.

Reply to
fred

It can measure the temperature of things in the oven. What most people would regard as the temperature of the oven is more akin to the air temperature in the oven, and it can't measure the air temperature. You can place something in the oven with low heat capacity (so it tracks the oven temperature quickly), and measure the temperature of that. In reality, this temperature is more useful than the air temperature (and much more useful than measuring the temperature of sides/back/top/etc which aren't at all representitive by themselves).

I often use mine to check temperature of things I'm cooking.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

not quite what SWMBO wants but might be close enough. And I'd find it handy in other areas.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark BR

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Umm.. I'm not a cook but... surely the temperature of anything moist will be modified by the boiling point of the liquid concerned?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Isn't it the core/internal temperature of whatever you're cooking that matters rather than the surface temperature?

Mark BR wibbled on Monday 23 November 2009 02:18

Can it detect SWMBO sizzeling when I've boiled her delicates with my mouldy workclothes then baked them in the tumble drier until they're half the size?

Reply to
Tim W

Yes indeed. Don't expect something that's cooking in an oven at 220C to be anywhere near that temperature. At least, not until it's been in there long enough to resemble a lump of charcoal. I didn't mean that's any use for measuring oven temperature.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, but surface temperature is also useful, and if it's something you can stir, then you can make the two the same.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You could go all the way and by her a blow lamp too, and tell her it's for making Crème brûlée.

Useful His'n'hers presents...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've decided not to get him a drill for xmas - too many variables for me to make a decision on (And some of them weight 6kg!!! Which sounds slightly insane - I know hilti and big drills are heavy, but for a fairly standard drill to weigh that much is just crazy - either that or the info is very wrong on the websites)

I'm having a mooch for little presents instead - things he can have lots of fun playing with (Like the IR thermometer)

I'd not thought of blow lamp though - it would be useful for creme brulees :)

Reply to
mogga

"but you've lost so much weight recently, dear, I'm sure they'll all still fit"

No, that one might come back to bite you.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"asbestos" gloves, so useful for getting things out of the oven. And welding.

ultrasonic cleaner for her jewellery. And small components.

scaffold tower for hanging the washing on

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Interesting gift idea! Am looking on ebay now!

And for the kids to climb on too... :)

Reply to
mogga

Probably not :-(

Insulate your garden shed and put a small bed in there, along with a wood burner :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Leather would be better for your health

One of the best gadgets I ever bought. Not only does it clean jewellery, but other unlikely things as well. Wife is a Scout leader and went on camp and fell into a stream with her digital camera in her pocket. Needless to say, the camera didn't work when it was dried out.

I put it into the ultrasonic cleaner all ways up and gave it 3 mins a side. Works fine now, but does flatten batteries when not used.

One thing I have not tried yet is a mix of bicarb of soda, salt, water and an aluminium container for cleaning silver. I think that would work a treat. It works with warm water, but the sonics should speed it up.

I would love one of those for the annual cleaning of the gutters, but the storage prevented me from buying one.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's why you leave it out in the garden all year - so the Mrs can hang the washing on it!

Owain

Reply to
Owain