Cheap heating

I suppose for most of us, uk.d-i-y provides the sounding board! How many posts are written in a "this is what I intend to do...any suggestions" where the OP simply writes down what is already a fairly sound plan, probably with more detail and accuracy than they thought it would have before they started typing it!

Reply to
Richard Conway

COP 4.5 on heating? Cooling?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I *knew* someone would know!

12.5% cheaper than non reversible aircon!
Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Hi Andy.

13.47 Euro/month standing charge 0.0765 /kWh heures plein 0.045 /kWh heures creuse (1 am to 7 am and 3pm to 5pm)

As Matt said the biggest proportion of electricity generation in France is nuclear but in our region most comes from hydroelectric stations and wind farms.

Regards Russell

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

That's high, by UK standards.

Literally "full hours" - full-rate hours I suppose. Cheap too - UK prices are now around that figure in p/kWh, before VAT.

"Hollow hours" - I like that. Also cheaper than most UK Economy 7 tariffs, but not by so much as the full rate. The attempt to re-introduce afternoon off-peak here ("Economy 10") never really seems to have taken off.

Is the 2-rate tariff standard in France, is is it something that you can opt for, like Economy 7 is over here?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Sorry, I should have mentioned those prices are before tax as well.

There are three options:

  1. Base option, single tarif at the higher rate.
  2. Dual rate tarif with slightly higher standing charge.
  3. Tempo option with blue, white, and red days. The prices /kWh are as follows (this time including tax) Blue days (300/year) 0.0446/0.0553 White days (43/year) 0.0907/0.1075 Red days (22 days/year no doubt the coldest) 0.1682/0.4702 !

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

Ooh - a seasonal time of day tariff. Common enough here for industrial consumers but it would be seen as very radical for a domestic supply.

How is your meter read: in the time-honoured way or remotely?

Reply to
Andy Wade

That's how they read water meters in Cambridge now. OTOH gas and electricity meter readers seem to have become rather scarce. Most suppliers just seem to rely on customer readings. I don't think I've seen a meter reader for a couple of years.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Once a year a man with a van waves a handheld device in front of a junction box in our boundary wall.

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

Here in sunny Dorset, we seem to get our meters read about twice a month. (Well, it feels like that, as the guy always seems to arrive either during a phone call or immediately after a child has been sick in front of the meter box...) But it does seem to be once a quarter.

Maybe meter readers prefer driving around rural Dorset to urban Cambridge...

Will

Reply to
Will Dean

We regularly have a meter reader come round during the day whil most people (including us) are at work. They leave a card saying they will call again on another working day during working hours, which I beleive they do as they usually leave another card threatening another visit during working hours. Generally after the third card they give up for a few months.

Reply to
Richard Conway

ISTR that there is some legal obilgation for the meter to be read at least twice a year, I could be wrong. Have a dig of the ofgem site?

Where is the little woman? Not home looking after the kids, getting your dinner on the table? Shame she should be there to let the meter reader in. B-)

It's more fun when you get supplies from several companies. At one point this year we had electicity from 3 suppliers (3 meters..) and it did feel like there was a constant stream of contract meter readers. One of the contract meter reading companies had contracts with two of the supplies so he came twice several weeks apart...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm told by our electricity supplier that the legal requirement is for one reading every two years even where they have made a personal comitment to every 3 months. But then they have also told me that the data protection act prevents them from accepting a request to increase direct debit payments!

And they also promised to put all the above, and more!, in writing. Two months ago... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

[Snip]
Reply to
John Cartmell

Is it attached to a permanent drain? Clothes well spaced out would dry well enough with rad in there.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel
4.5 COP on heating Toshiba Daisekai, Dr. Drivel

-- Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

That is the best case example, most of the time you will be not be getting that COP

Reply to
Doctor Drivel