Cheap empty hose reel?

Had a Hozelock reel for the garden hose which, unbelievably, wasn't made of UV-resistant plastic and disintegrated.

The hose itself is fine, so I've been looking for a replacement empty reel, preferably wall mounted, to fit the hose to. Local independent DIY place wanted an eye-watering 50 quid (for an empty reel!) It'd be cheaper to buy the reel+hose new.

Any recommendations for places to go please?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

More of the same:

free standing reel

Owain

IME, Hozelock stuff is crap. What the sun doesn't destroy, the frost will.

I ended up bolting an old alloy wheel to the wall to store hose. No way was I going to give Hozelock any more money.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Tomlinson saying something like:

In the spirit of diy...

Used to be dead common to see an old wheel rim mounted on the wall, but they are non-rotary. Using hozelock style brass fittings it would be possible to construct a rotary wheel rim, with the fittings in the central hub. In fact, I might do that - I'm sick of winding up the hose every time I use it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Owain writes

Ordered one for 9 quid off ebay. Might be s**te, might not, but worth a punt.

Item 120584215602.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Huge writes

Hmm. Not impressed with their push-fit connectors using the O-rings - they tend to come apart at the most inopportune moments, like when my Mum was watering the garden. I did try not to laugh but failed dismally.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Or dropping it from a modest height. I give credit to their design team for searching the world to find the very worst possible materials to make their products from - other things that look similar can survive being dropped just fine. But perhaps their products are designed only to be used indoors where there's a thick carpet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We got what turned out to be a very good pull around one from Lidl last year, for around £15. It had rather clever semi-circular plastic 'nuts' to give non-scratch ends to the assembly bolts. As this was going to be fairly publicly used, I swapped these for nylocks. V pleased with it to date. (just tried to check, but their website doesn't seem to work t the mo)

Spamlet

If you know how to coil a hose - e.g. by putting a twist into each coil, its much quicker & easier to use a 'hose hanger' like an old wheel.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or rather neater, a couple of those large aluminium hooks the sheds sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, don't twist anything, i.e. don't try to put a half twist in the hose so it lies in single loops. For thick things like hoses, coil up on the wheel or home-made hooks using a figure-of-eight lay so the item being coiled doesn't need to be twisted. When you want to use it, you take the "8 pile" off the reel, lay it on the ground, with the remote end on top, which you grab and run out straight without having to deal with any twisted coils.

The method of putting a half-twist on each coil, so it looks nice with a single loop, needs you to remove these twists when you want to use it.

Reply to
John Weston

The trick is to alternate the direction of the twists in each coil so they cancel out down the length of the hose.

?v=kLBUzmA4kTU
bought a 50m hose even with a big loop (>4' dia) it gets to big and heavy to hand coil. It will be figure of eighted and hung on the wall, either on old wheels or somthing else with a large curved surface area to spread the load so the hose doesn't get damaged.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pah. What could be neater than a Sierra Cosworth alloy wheel?

Reply to
Huge

True - but most mount them inside out. ;-)

Huge, I've got a question about Sierra Cosworth rear brakes. Is your reply to address valid?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno. I've emailed you.

Reply to
Huge

Beg to differ Guv.

Entire British Navy runs on ropes coiled with a single twist.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Accepted :-)

OK, for small lines that have the common (three) strand twisted construction - you can coil the rope using single loops with the core twist direction (S or Z) but don't twist the rope as a whole (a finger- persuasion in the right direction so it lays flat is OK). For larger strand construction rope you can't hold in your arms, you coil on the floor walking round the loops.

For braided ropes, plait or hoses that don't have a uniform core twist direction, each coil should be in the opposite direction, as in an "8" so you don't have a cumulative twist to the coils.

But they don't normally use braided rope - or hosepipe :-). These tangle if you try the single-coil-with-the-strand-direction method, Better to lay each coil in alternate directions - as in a figure-8. I coil braided rope between, say, a winch and my forearm using a figure-8 pattern. This provides a non-tangle run-out when I later want to deploy the line on a boat.

I don't coil hosepipe on a boat, since I have a small hose-reel, but it should work the same as braided rope. If I'm wrong, I bow to your superior experience :-)

Reply to
John Weston

Its just that in the 30 years I spent selling pressure washers, I always coiled the hydrailic pressure hoses and braided inlet hoses using the coil & twist method to keep things neat & tidy - which it did.

Hosepipes at dawn!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry - this ng has a hosepipe ban. Angle grinders, now, ...

Reply to
Tim Streater

I tend to do the same, having been taught it for rope throwing for lifeguard duties. It keeps me in practice, doing it without looking. I can't do that method without watching what I'm doing.

However for longer leads I often try the other method, to reduce the kinking. Stiff short hoses will twist to remove the kink, long or thin cables won't.

Horses for courses.

Reply to
<me9